Options

Two Small Black Plastic Boxes? (bottom of outdrive)

HedgeHedge Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
I am getting a little bit of corrosion on my outdrives even though the anodes look fine. I have a Volvo 5.7 GXI and there are 2 small plastic boxes either side of the drive at the bottom, is there any chance these are Electronic Anodes that may not be working? I checked a Volvo manual and in the Anodes section they refer to a Electronic Control System "Active Protection System"  but I cannot find any more information.   

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be my guess. If so there may be stainless steel "wires" which would be continuity cables linking all parts of the cathode system. Mercury has a small black "box" under my B111 drives. The techs have to be careful as this unit can be damaged and will then no longer function. I also warn the "kids" who are hired to clean the hulls in the fall at winterizing to not hit those systems with their wash brushes and wands.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    "the anodes look fine" ... I assume you mean the anodes are pitted with corrosion as they should be, right?  If not, you might have the wrong anodes.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....and to add to La Rea - once the pitting has hit 50% I replace them but definitely they should be gone at 70%.