Options

Newer Engines Vessel View Codes - Amazing Mercury Programming!

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have to compliment Mercury on creating an amazing Vessel View/DTS/Axius System. I have heard from techs that service both Mercury Axius and The Volvo equivalent that the Mercury System, in their opinion, is way more sophisticated. I can't comment on that - BUT I can say that the Mercury System is (to me) absolutely amazing. My dealer just e.mailed me the print-out of codes and statistics from the download they did of my Vessel View yesterday (see the discussion thread on oil filters in this forum posted by me yesterday for background) . TWELVE pages of really neat data. The good news is that the engine guardian only came on once due to low initial start up oil pressure. So' I'll get those high efficiency Mercury oil filters on tomorrow!!!!! What's really cool is all of the stats. For example a complete log of every minute my engines spent in 9 defined rpm bands. Again, for example, my engines spent 16 hours and 54 minutes in the rpm band of 2500-3499 rpm. I would bet that they spent the entire time at about 3400 rpm in that band. I can take three things away from these statistics: One - Mercury has developed an amazing program to troubleshoot their product. Two; this data protects both the company and the customer as the data is real evidence of use, performance and maintenance. Three: a customer or technician had better be truthful regarding how an engine system was used and maintained because, brother, it's ALL there ....as in you lie - you fry! Very cool!
Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Yeah, hours-per-RPM-band is great when buying/selling.  The hour meter is a very crude metric.  Hours can have an entirely different meaning if the boat was used mostly at no wake speed as opposed to WOT.  
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I added a 1st gen VesselView 4 to my 342 over the winter (in place of the spedo and tachs).  So far I'm a big fan of what it can do.  Didn't know you could download from it.  I know there is a USB socket on the back of the display.  Guess I should read up more.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX