Options

APOLOGY - Incorrect Mercruiser Filter "Name" Used

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
My sincere apologies. In my comments of using the proper Mercury oil filter I referred to it as a High Performance oil filter. Mercury makes one of the best High Performance oil filters anywhere PN 35-881126K01. THAT was NOT the oil filter I meant. I SHOULD have said Mercury High EFFICIENCY oil filter PN 35-858004K. I stand corrected in that the high PERFORMANCE oil filter is really designed for Mercury's racing engines and may have a bypass valve that is set too high (pressure) for "regular" Mercury engines. I have been told that the best Mercury oil filter (at the present time) for all "regular" Mercruiser engines is the 35-858004K as it has a synthetic filter medium (not paper) and will remove almost double the contaminants of paper filters. BTW the tech that I spoke with repeated a comment I have heard dozens of times over the years from techs and engine builders - "Do you really want to protect your engine? If you do, about half way through your normal oil change interval replace your oil filter and top-up your oil as required. By doing this you get rid of an oil filter that should have contaminants trapped in its filter media and by putting on a new filter you re-clean your oil."  The tech maintained by doing this - inexpensive trick - your oil would be in much better shape for a few dollars. I don't know if he's right but his comments do make sense. Sorry if I caused any confusion by mixing-up my terms I'll be more careful in the future! :-)

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Well,  alright,  apology accepted.   Just don't let it happen again!  ;)

Good info,  thanks! 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme