Options

Engine stall

FlyingBlind310FlyingBlind310 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
Hey - 
So I was in a transient slip (Watch Hill Fire Island) over the weekend when I was instructed to move the boat to another slip after getting there earlier in the day. Started up fine but when I put the starboard engine into gear it stalled. Re-started without issue and stalled again. Shut down both sides and raised the drives (figured there was a loose line)...all clear and props spun by hand. Re-started engines and threw into gear...muddy water going everywhere. I was stalling because I was stuck in mud! Props must have been encased.

Here is my question...since I had the port engine on longer (did not stall as it was never in gear), while I was monkeying in the engine bay on the starboard engine, could I have damaged the impeller by sucking up that mud in that short time? On the 1.5 hr trip home, the port engine gradually ran hotter than usual at 155/160 (usually run consistent at 140).

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I would definitely change the impeller if it was running warmer.  Since you have a heat exchanger, I'd clean that out as well.  Not too bad of a task on a 310 to do.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be running hotter as the lines and heat exchanger have mud, sea weed etc. in them. I mentioned in an earlier post about a guy I knew who filled his hoses and HE with sand while running his engines while anchored over a sand bar. Sometimes running the boat on plane (as long as the engine(s) aren't overheating will wash the sand out but you have to be careful doing that.  I agree with DI to look at the impeller. Did the marina not warn of low water in the slips? I have a washing pole that extends to 10 feet. I have a mark on it at 5 feet. The Admiral checks the slip depth as we go in. If we don't like it we get another slip.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My stalling problem was fixed by installing a new idle air controller

Andy
  • Options
    FlyingBlind310FlyingBlind310 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    @Michael T @Dream_Inn ...how would I go about flushing the HE? Take the end caps off? Whats the difficulty level here.

The marina did not warn me at all. 

@andyd - IAC is good but the props were literally encased in mud which caused the stall

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF and I repeat IF your engine is only overheating slightly you might be able to flush our the lines and heat exchanger by running the boat on plane for awhile. If you have already done that to no avail I think you may have to remove the end caps and even some of the hoses unless you have a fresh water dock flush option like some of the guys. Yes Andy, you can take the end caps of the HE off. Water will spill out but your "antifreeze"  coolant will be retained in the "plumbing" for your heat exchanger lines. I'm not sure if there is an O ring or gasket that must be replaced when you R&R the end cap(s).