Options

Adding remote windlass control

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
A glaring oversight on the older 342 is the lack of windlass control on the bow.  The electrical diagrams confirm what I found that the switch at the helm does all the heavy lifting versus a relay.  Has anyone added remote windlass control (wired or wireless) to their boat?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you seen any kits for that? 
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    I too was looking into this for my Rinker. I was thinking about the wireless remote control from Lewmar would work.
  • Options
    Looking at the docs for the Lermar, I don't think it would work with the Horizion 600 windlass.  There is no relay, just a big switch.  

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Looks like I can add a windlass control box, then wire a lower capacity switch in the helm and add a wireless control.  Looks like another winter project.

Control: http://www.go2marine.com/product/205376F/windlass-watertight-control-box-12-or-24-volt-for-3-wire-motors.html

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Take a close listen when you run your windlass......if you hear clicking below the dash on the stbd side then you have a relay and can use the Lewmar wireless remote. The relay is located behind the subwoofer.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    I have already checked and confirmed with the wiring diagram from Rinker that my Horizion 600 was set up without a relay.  I contacted Lewmar and they gave me a part number for their relay although the one on found and posted above should work just fine.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Just as an FYI.....the wiring diagrams for my boat do not show a relay for the windlass but I have one and it is definately a factory install. Just want to make sure you purchase the right one. 
  • Options
    On mine it shows that the Horizion 600 did not have a relay, but the Horizion 900 did.  Also, the switch for the windlass control has like #6 wire going to it and it's physically large.  I want to say the rating on the switch was 50 amps.

• Options
    Mine showed the same but I had a relay. Sounds like yours is different but just to be sure, when you toggle your windlass up and down, listen for a clicking sound by your feet on the stbd side. If you hear clicking there, then you have a relay, if you don't then yours is different.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    There is a good chance they added them after 2002.  

I've had the sub-woofer off a few times for different wire running projects.  Haven't see anything in there but I'll try again.  If there is a relay it seems a huge waste to run such heavy wire to such a heavy switch just to make a relay work.

• Options

I can't remember what size wire is run on my switch, but your assumption seems logical.

The relay is located about 3/4 of an arms length in and towards the bow from the sub woofer. Not the easiest thing to see or work on.

• Options
    I am considering adding a remote to my Horizon 600. My current set up has the toggle switch at the helm with a 50A breaker/isolator, just like it shows in the manuals wiring diagram. I am totally confused with what's not shown on the manuals wiring diagram that is actually installed in the anchor locker, it does not look like any of the solenoids or relays that are available. Can anybody tell what these are, or what's going on? image attached
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they are behind the dash panel. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    dropout said:
    I am considering adding a remote to my Horizon 600. My current set up has the toggle switch at the helm with a 50A breaker/isolator, just like it shows in the manuals wiring diagram. I am totally confused with what's not shown on the manuals wiring diagram that is actually installed in the anchor locker, it does not look like any of the solenoids or relays that are available. Can anybody tell what these are, or what's going on? image attached
    Trying to work out what you are showing here, if the back of the breaker/toggle,it looks like a wire or 2 is missing. When I had a 600 on my 310 there was no contactor, direct high current switching. When I installed a new windlass it came with a contactor so I wired it in per requirements. Later I added deck foot switches and ran back a couple of pair to parallel the toggle low amp switching..

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    icoultha said:
    dropout said:
    Trying to work out what you are showing here, if the back of the breaker/toggle,it looks like a wire or 2 is missing. When I had a 600 on my 310 there was no contactor, direct high current switching. When I installed a new windlass it came with a contactor so I wired it in per requirements. Later I added deck foot switches and ran back a couple of pair to parallel the toggle low amp switching..

A wire was disconnected at the time of the pic, thanks for the info.