Options

2002 250 5.0 MPI shift lever in neutral will not start

a friend towed me about 10 miles at night....solenoid, starter motor, bad connection?...anyone have this problem....It is completely dead....

Comments

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    First thing to check is the kill switch with the tether. Make sure it is seated correctly. Secondly, check the ignition circuit plugs in the helm area. If there are signs of corrosion (green verdigris) just splice the wires together and eliminate the plug.

Andy
  • Options
    tundra250tundra250 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I had a mechanic come out and it started right away....He didn't do anything...I tried working the shift for an hour and a half and nothing....He said not to push the button for neutral but to shift it to forward turn the key and work back to neutral and it should start which is what he did....At this time he doesn't recommend replacing the shift box and cables but he thinks the box is old and cheaply made...He said you can start it in neutral without pressing the button and moving the shift forward because it is fuel injected....I tried it and that works...So go figure....I don't know if I should have him replace the box and cable or not....
  • Options
    tundra250tundra250 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Al, I appreciate your comment.....If I can't find neutral again what do you suggest...Thanks
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Nice to see you got it figured out!  & great tips Al!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express