Options

99 192 Drilling into engine bay floor?

One more question for those 192 owners.  I would like to make use of all the space in the engine bay on the starboard of the engine bay.  I want to put a big tote in there to hold life jackets and such.  I'm worried about it sliding around during maneuvering and would like to simply screw it to the floor of the engine bay.  Is there plenty of material/space below the floor or would i have to be very careful not to punch through the bottom of the boat?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the area is flat, you should be in good shape. In my '98 232, there was a storage bin on the starboard side of the engine and it was screwed down with 3/4 inch stainless screws.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    sethman919sethman919 Member Posts: 16
    Yeah, i figured since the engine bay is flat and the bottom of the boat isnt, but i wanted to make sure... hopefully more people will confirm.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited August 2015
    Here's the factory tote screwed to the bottom on the port side of a 2005 192.  The walk-thru is on the starboard side so there's no room.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Thanks Mark.  Mine obviously doesnt have the walk through.  I have the factory igloo cooler on the port side. 
  • Options
    While we're talking about engine bays.  On the starboard side at the very back of the engine bay there is an electric pump separate from the engine with a little reservoir.  What is it for?  
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited August 2015
    That would  be your sterndrive tilt/trim pump..... assuming you don't have hydraulic trim tabs.  

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Ahhh cool thanks
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    If I am unsure about things like that I glue a wood board down first the then screw into that once the adhesive sets

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bigal6030 - that's a REAl good piece of advice. "Usually" a flat section in the bilge area means a ledge that has been placed by the manufacturer, but not always as my friend found out and I found out when he asked me how good I was a gel coat repairs. I did fix it. But, as BA6030 says - if in doubt get a piece of starboard and a tube of 5200 and you're laughin' ( as opposed to crying - or - breaking-out the gel coat)