Options

Interior Lights In Refrigerators Don't Shut Off

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found out last week that the interior light of the Dometic fridge in our galley does not turn-off when the door is shut. The door appears to be installed correctly as it does not seem to be misaligned and there is no frosting-up of the interior. We are completely pleased with the performance of the fridge. I discovered this when I went into the galley fridge late at night with the cabin lights off to not awake the admiral and noticed that I could see light around some of the edges of the door.  I have tried using those stick-on felt circles as temporary adjustments to change the strike location of the plastic "arm" that moves to shut-off the light - to no avail. I put a camera inside and it showed the light was on and the plastic shut-off "arm" was missing the edge of the door completely. I am thinking of adding an adjustable screw of some sort but do not want to start drilling into the plastic if someone else has had this problem and has a better fix. I guess I should also check the fridge in the cockpit too :-( .....any advice appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problem with my cockpit fridge. The plastic arm on mine is stuck, but I can't figure out a way to put some lube on it to unstick it. If I tap on it, it frees up and when I push it in, the light goes out. But when I release it, the arm won't pull back to the open position.

MT, instead of a felt pad, what about trying a rubber pad. Since it is a little sturdier, it would probably last longer. I would try that first.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Greg, I'll give it a try. The cold and moisture in the fridge seems to make whatever I try fall off! I can't find out what amperage - probably not much - the light draws but I don't want it to run down my batteries - particularly if the interior lights on both fridges are on all the time. If I can't solve it soon I'll tape the arms in the off position.
  • Options

Checked today with a camera, the cockpit fridge light shuts-off with the control arm.