MMSI/Ship Station License - Canada/US waters

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
Interesting, I was on another forum and someone brought up they were getting an MMSI number but sometimes go over to Canada.  I found it to be an interesting discussion and never knew you had to purchase a license to operate it over in Canada.  Then, you can match that license with your MMSI.

Here is a link to the entire discussion: http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=378073

I'm sure all the Canucks know this, but was curious how many transverse between the two countries (Mainly originating from US) and know that it's illegal to use the VHF in Canada without the authorization.

I guess I'm also curious in general how many have connected their DSC, with an MMSI, to their GPS.  I did it a couple years ago and it is quite simple and worthwhile doing.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I've hooked up GPS to VHF for DSC a few times. 

As for the VHF business, for the most part it's ignored around here.  As I recall they have a different registry for MMSI and there is the potential for conflict.  So I would not try to use DSC in Canadian waters up in Lake Huron or Northern Lake Erie.  But I don't do anything special to use the VHF when in Canada.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cross-over all the time from Canada to the United States. As you said DI I have to have a MMSI to even have a VHF on board my boat. My VHF does have an automatic DSC and yes, I have linked it to my GPS for one touch distress and GPS positioning. As well I have my American Decal for Border Crossing Security for 2015.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may only have a log of the MMSI's issued in the USA (And vice-versa in Canada), but the MMSI is unique. I believe the first 3 numbers is country specific. If a Canadian goes into US waters, you also need a station license for the USA, and cannot use the radio without one. Having said that, I don't think that has stopped many people.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

If you look on the Industry Canada web site, they say the way to get a Canadian radio license is to go through the Canadian Power/Sail Squadron.  Not exactly a simple task for folks on this side of the river.   :/

MarkB said:

They may only have a log of the MMSI's issued in the USA (And vice-versa in Canada), but the MMSI is unique. I believe the first 3 numbers is country specific. If a Canadian goes into US waters, you also need a station license for the USA, and cannot use the radio without one. Having said that, I don't think that has stopped many people.

Ah good info in the first 3 digits.

And funny you (Canadian citizens) need a license to operate a marine VHF here, when we don't.  Makes no sense.  

I can use my ham license in other countries.  Different countries have different requirements to recognize it.  But it's pretty much just a paperwork thing.

IF you want to get a Canadian VHF permit - for example - if you are doing one of the canal or river "loops" in Canada, if you already have a VHF permit or licence in the U.S. its easy to get a permit in Canada - you just contact www.ic.gc.ca/spectrum and the fee is Cdn. $36.00 BUT Stodge is correct if you do not have a VHF permit/certification/licence in the U.S. you would have to take the course either in the U.S. (obviously easier) or in Canada. I have to renew both my VHF permit and U.S. Customs and Border Protection decals each year. Oh the paperwork!!!!
    I contacted Industry Canada and they referred me to the FCC.  On the FCC site it's stated the same way as on the Canadian site.  You don't need anything if you stay in the US, but if you go outside the US you need a US ship station license and operator permit.  $215 for the ship license, $65 for the operator permit.  No class or test or anything.

So here's what I don't get.  To use a VHF marine radio outside your own country you need a license from your own country, not from the other country.  Color me confused.

That seems to be it Stodge. If the U.S. issues your certification/permit whatever, Canada recognizes it and vice versa. I don't think you need any sort of decal to come into Canadian waters though. We Canadians need a U.S. decal to enter American waters if our boat is 30 feet loa or over......and yeah the regs are confusing!
    Actually that sticker is a revenue sticker and we need them too.  When I call in to come back to the US they ask me for the number on that sticker, along with my Nexus info.