Options

270 gas tanks a common problem?

Hi Folks, new member here. I am possibly putting an offer in on a 2005 270FV tomorrow. One concern I do have is I see some posts about leaking gas tanks. I also see one local for sale, that says just had a tank done. Is this a common thing? I don't want to get into that, looks ugly from pics I have seen! Thanks, great forum!!

Dave

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Extremely uncommon.  There have been some isolated cases in which the owners were extremely vocal about it.  

As with any boat, your offer should be contingent on a pre-purchase survey.  Hire a professional surveyor, and have him/her take a close look at the tanks, as well as the overall condition of the engine bay.  The survey will pay for itself when you negotiate the final price.

Good luck with the offer!
  • Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I have a 2006 270 and there is absolutely no problem with the gas tank.
    This is a great boat.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I don't think a surveyor will sign off on the condition of a ten-year-old gas tank. There is no way he can really inspect it. In fact I would suspect they will disclaim any knowledge of things they can't see, like home inspectors do.

Andy
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belleville, ask the current owner if they have any issues with the gas tank, if you are concerned about it. Be open with him/her. If they confirm no issues, than put it as a condition on the bill of sale, and state if anything comes up in the first month or two, they are liable. It won't take you long to find out if there's a problem. If there isn't they shouldn't be too concerned about providing that gaurantee.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    More importantly, ask them *why* they replaced the fuel tank.  That's not a routine repair.  
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Sorry should have been more clear, the one I'm looking at hasn't had a tank replaced , nore is a problem noted with it. Just I had read a few posts/ads about tanks being replaced so was nervous.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    It is not a common problem, certainly, but it did happen to my 2006 FV250. This is not unique to Rinker by any means. I would say saltwater boats kept in a slip full time with aluminum tanks are more vulnerable. That said there are two Rinker 266's on my dock from the mid 1990s that have the original tanks I believe. It wouldn't stop me from buying a boat in good overall condition that was priced right.

Older boats like older cars and houses can take you to the cleaners financially if Lady Luck isn't on your side, but that isn't exactly breaking news. It surely isn't wise to own a boat without the resources to keep rainy day funds in the bank for any number of issues that can arise.

Andy 
  • Options
    Yeah the old Break Out Another Thousand thing ! ;-)
  • Options
    Don't joke about that, B.O.A.T. It can get real very fast. Lol.  

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    ;) God, I hope not this is my first, don't want to start off on the wrong foot!
  • Options

One thing that works is taking care of your boat. Do the right things, always check fluid levels, be observant, be nice to your boat (never force anything, if it has to be forced, something is wrong, either you're doing it wrong, or somethings about to break).

Things will happen, but at least you can minimize them by taking care of your boat.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Also, take a boating safety course.  Not a worthless online quiz, but a real classroom course (such as those offered by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary).  

That'll help reduce the number of times you have to B.O.A.T.!
  • Options
    If you're in Canada the Power and Sail Squadron is where you want to go for the boat safety clases. There pleasure craft operators card is the only one recognized in the US.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    The only trouble with my 270 gas tank is it keeps emptying on trips
  • Options
    LOL. That's the trouble with the 250, 260, 270, 280, 290, 310, 330, etc, etc. gas tanks. They drink like my kids in a slurpy shop.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They drink like my friends on a hot summer day, on my boat, from the cockpit fridge.....and on our boat - that is THE drink fridge (no slurpies there) LOL