Options

2 beeps on my 2002 250 B3 MPI

The engine would completely shut off after it got up on plane...But it would run at low speed and was able to get back to the marina....Tech found it was the shift interrupt switch which was loose not bad....just for your info

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Thanks for posting. Always good to have answers in the archive.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Speaking of shift interrupters. In the "old days" the shift interrupters were often switches that used a roller on a stainless steel spring that rode over lobes of a piece of steel between shifts. It was not always 100% accurate and once in awhile a "cowboy" who raced towards his slip then threw his shift into reverse to look " "cool" would get scr*w*d by the interrupter because it would miss shift or be slow to engage and the "cowboy" would ram the docks. I saw this happen a number of times - hence the expression - "Never approach a dock faster than you want to hit it" :-)
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    tundra250tundra250 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Well the tech is wrong I still have the same problem 2 beeps and engine shuts down after on plane...I took the boat out again with the tech and his computer and it ran fine up and down the lake for 2 or 3 miles four or five times...He says he can't find the problem if it does not happen again...I later took the boat out by myself and it happened 3 times....after 5 PM and he was closed...I am thinking of having him change the switch and the 2 fuel filters....Now I also filled the gas tank and have fuel leaking from the sender at the top of the tank which he recently changed...don't know if that is adding to the problem.... will have him check the gasket..Going back to the tech tomorrow or next day...thanks for any comments...
  • Options
    Al, I will tell him what you said but does he actually have to be in the boat with his scan tool and hear the beeps and engine shut down ?
  • Options

Al, still having a problem...Tech says its not recording in history code...I have been out with him and his computer plugged in now 3 times for at least an hour at $110/hour and it doesn't happen...I leave him go out on my own and it shuts off after on plane....He now thinks its an electrical problem...When this all started they replaced the plug for the fuel gage in the helm...He is now going to check the wiring in the dashboard...  

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So he plugs in his computer and nothing happens. He takes off the computer and you have a problem. No error codes logged. I would say it is something electrical, and maybe related to the wires that interface with the computer????

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I know firsthand that not all codes get stored.  Take the tech for a sea trial and have him read codes while it's actually beeping.  

When I went through my overheating problems last year, my engine never stored any fault codes.  It would beep and go into limp mode, but it never stored anything and never showed a fault on my MercMonitors.  As I later found out, the fault was the exhaust manifold cooling temp (EMCT) rather than the engine cooling temp (ECT).  Apparently that sensor plays by different rules.