Options

Speedometer Quit Working

Moneyplays21Moneyplays21 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
I have a 2014 Rinker 310.  Recently, my Speedometer quit working on my Mercury Smart Craft Display.  My local yard told me the gauge reads water being forced into the lower unit as it moves forward through the water.  They said the intake holes and lines get clogged and are almost impossible to clear.  Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm currently using my GPS for speed but it's hard to see with these old eyes in the sun bouncing around the water.
2014 Rinker 310 Express Cruiser.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I owned 2014 EC 310 and did not have that problem nor hear that it was a big issue. I'll check with a friend who has bought a new 2011 EC 310 to see if he's heard of a problem or solution. I assume you have checked the entrance of your pitot water intake to make sure it isn't blocked buy some weeds or a piece of reed? I assume somewhere there is a water line leading to a sensor that might be able to be removed and have some compressed air blown back through it. In the "olden" days when we had traditional speedometers and they got clogged we'd remove the pitot tubing from the back of the speedometer gauge and use a small portable compressor to blow the debris out.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can happen. Sometimes if you run into debries in the water, it blocks the pickup tube. It's a small hole in the lower half of the drive, in front. Can you raise it and try and clear it? There's a few videos on youtube how to clear it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited September 2015
    If what @Mark suggests doesn't work and you can find the tube leading to a gauge - blow some compressed air backwards through it.
  • Options
    Thank you both.
  • Options
    Money, the one thing you have to worry about is pushing whatever is blocking the tube deeper into the tube.  You might want to get a pair of tweezers to help pry rather than push in.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    If using compressed air use the small nozzle fitting and blow the air into the end of the tube that leads BACK to the drive, that way you'll blow debris OUT of the water pick-up. Done it lots of times.
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Had this problem when I got my 232 with B3 drive. Saw on Youtube to take a very small drill bit and screw it by hand into the speedo hole on drive. This will pull the blockage material out. Start small and increase size of bit until clear.

There is as hose that comes out of the drive by gimbal that goes to speedo, that has a t shaped fitting, to remove the drive. Twist hose off fitting and blow air back towards drive to push debris out like MT said. Common problem.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    OK, I checked the water intake holes, both clean.  I pulled the T Fitting off and blew out the intake with my air compressor I rolled down to the dock, no obstructions, air flowed freely.  Where do I look next????
  • Options
    Which drive is it picking the speed off of? 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I don't know that.

• Options
    ALLFORARIALLFORARI Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I have twin 350 merc Horizons in my 2005 342 and am having the same issue.  I had heard a coat hanger would take care of it but compressed air sounds like a much better idea.  I too have the same question of which outdrive measures the speed? Do you have to blow both out?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starboard side
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    My 310 uses the port side.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens to me 3/4 times a year, I use small drill bit 1/8  turn it by hand, auger the stick's out, compressed air will push stick in farther, coat hanger will to. It's a small hole in the front of your drive. This is B 3
    Image result for mercruiser bravo 3 outdrive speedometer
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    My 280 speed stopped working last time out
    i was in sandy bottom
    oh well can wait till fall
    to get cleaned out
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the main reasons why i am completely eliminating the Speedometer from my dash.  Just using GPS speed now.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!