Options

Isenglass Restoration

Has anyone tried using that Flitz polish or any other product to "restore" their isenglass?  I'm planning to get new canvas in the off season anyways, but was just wondering if I could extend the life of what I have.

Thanks all!
Y Knot?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some products will help remove the external oxidation on the eisenglass, essentially like rubbing compound to remove a layer. If the UV has made it cloudy/white there is little you can do. Traditional eisenglass has very poor UV resistance. Moving up to strataglas can be worth the cost in the long run. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I tried a product, supposed to be the best on the market. I even put up a post about it last year, so do a search. I showed before and after. Although it made things better, it didn't nearly satisfy my expectations. I contacted TJ (boattech01) on this forum and he hooked me up with a new piece of canvas for a great price.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Strata glass which is the clear sheeting that is not really flexible. The cleaner that was recommended was IMAR Startaglass Protective Cleaner. IMAR also makes a protective polish. I have been told that there is not much that can be done with Isinglass or Strataglass once they are damaged by UVA/UVB, acid rain etc. exposure. I have heard that Camco makes a product called 210 that can remove minor scratches and wear spots from the "vinyl" windows.

• Options
    That's what I used the 210 Polish. Find my post, there's before and after pictures. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Strataglass is better than eisenglass (really clear pvc). I use the IMAR stuff on mine too. Mine is the thinner stuff, it will roll but not tight. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Just ordered the Flitz restoration kit...once it comes in, i'll let everyone know how it came out.

Thanks all!
    Y Knot?
  • Options
    awhiresawhires Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    NOVUS 7100 Plastic Polish Kit - 8 oz.
  • Options
    awhiresawhires Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    My canvas guy swears this works...
  • Options

Don't get too excited. It will help, but if it's foggy/mouldy - it will not bring it back to fully transparent state.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Once the UV / acid rain start their damage, there is virtually nothing to undo it. You can only 'polish' off part of the surface...temporarily. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I'm planning to replace all the canvas during the winter, but hoping to see if I can at least clean up the glass to get through the end of October.
    Y Knot?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you decide to replace your "windows" with the newer material - Strataglass" you may want to indicate that in advance to whoever you chose to fabricate your canvas as I have been told by our local  canvas shop ( a VERY good one) that it takes special equipment - read that sewing machine - to do the job properly.
  • Options
     There are thinner grades of Strataglas, as I noted they will roll (not tight), the thicker stuff does not really roll at all.  You can get it tinted too...looks nice and keeps it a bit cooler inside plus blocks some UV.

Take a look at the Stamoid material too over 'canvas'.  Never have to waterproof again.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'm planning to replace all the canvas during the winter, but hoping to see if I can at least clean up the glass to get through the end of October.

If you do replace, keep your old connector sections (one's with the issinglass on them), to put those on during winter storage, so you can keep the new glass in safe protected storage. Thats' what I do. Prolongs the life of the new glass.

"Boat + Water = Fun"