Options

Choke stuck open when cold

Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Engine Discussions
Anyone convert their 4bbl bimetal choke to electric? Mine is stuck open for some reason and just might convert over to electric since the kit is pretty cheap. 
Post edited by Chrisvr6 on

Comments

• Options
    blutobluto Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

Find out why the choke is stuck, is it the divorced choke or is it the choke itself.

If the choke is stuck, a new operator, whether divorced or electric will not fix the problem.

• Options
    I guess its the divorced kind thats on the side with the bimetal coil. Will go do some more snooping around tonight. Thought maybe the rod got disconnected somehow. Those bimetal coils seem to be hard to buy also. 
  • Options
    Oh i can flip the butterfly close and open with my fingers but it just chooses to stay open when i let go. Its not because its 91° here in chicago is it? 
  • Options
    blutobluto Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Yes, you have a divorced choke.  Did this problem just occur, or has it been an ongoing problem? What type of carburetor do you have? Verify that all the linkages are connected. With a cold engine, at 90 degrees air temp, the choke should be almost completely closed at startup and gradually open with engine temp.
  • Options
    Ok so, i bent the choke rod to close up the choke and it seems better now.