Options

Fire Blankets.....and

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanks to the posting on this forum of the Chapparal  "on fire" video that caught fire while fuelling I looked at a few other owners' forums and, like ours, there was a lot of discussion with most of the same points we raised. One thing that no one has mentioned having as a safety device is a fire blanket. My brother-in-law is a fire captain and he says he'd always have a couple of fire blankets on a boat. I have one down in the cabin and one in the cockpit. They come in a variety of sizes and can be used to throw over a fire or rogue BBQ or to wrap the kids and Admiral in to flee a fire. He particularly recommended the large size for in the cabin, as in his opinion, it would be harrowing to climb out of the cabin and make it through a burning cockpit, past the engine bay to safety. They fold-up real small, aren't expensive (imo) and easy to use. My 2 cents. P.S. EVERY time I take friends out on the boat I show them where the two fire extinguishers are, where the two fire blankets are and where and how I want them to evacuate. Of course, I also explain my other safety rules. Takes about five minutes. I don't care if the guests have been on the boat 20 times they get the same speech each time and they know they better at least pretend they are listening or they'll be riding the pine on the dock instead of out on the water with me....and I wonder why they call me Captain Bligh?

Comments

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    This is a great idea and new boaters like me appreciate you sharing.  I just bought one, 5x8, $60 Amazon.  

Michael T, what are your safety rules?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

Hey 06-270, Great purchase (fire blanket) - hope you never need it :-)  I want everyone to have fun and judging by the number of repeat requests for a cruise - often beginning in the Winter months - I assume my guests have fun. I have never had an injury on my boats in 50 years (starting as a teenager) to anyone but me - for stupid things that I did and learned from. All guests have been 100% injury-free.

To answer your question: I have two sets of rules:

Environmental - I ask guests to let me know if anything falls/blows overboard. I say the only thing that can go overboard (except swimmers) is water from a sink. Everything else goes into the garbage containers or the toilet. (The Admiral takes over here and discusses using our marine toilet re: paper and feminine hygiene products).

Safety - I'm the Captain and may not have time to explain why I want something done in a safety situation but quests are to follow my direction. Everyone, except the Admiral, sits quietly while docking and getting onto and off of plane. Guests are welcome to use the sunpad at non-planning speeds - at higher speeds it's my call. Adults may sit up at the bow while boat is stationary (dock/anchor) No unsupervised children anywhere on top deck. No Leonardo DiCrappio Titanic moments while under way :-)  No running on the boat. No one on the swim platform while the engines are running. Limited Jumping off the swim platform depending on the age and their ability after I have checked the water for depth and debris. ***I realize there is some risk with this but I don't want to be a total killjoy!. Most guests use the ladder anyway. Children and those who are not good swimmers wear life jackets. Jackets for everyone else are easy to get at. At night or in foul weather EVERYONE wears a life jacket. All guests are shown the fire extinguishers and fire blanket and told how to use them. The location of the medical kit is shown. I ask if anyone uses special meds or epipen. We keep everyone well hydrated. I am happy to have guests enjoy the drink(s) of their choice. I am not happy to have guests get sh*t faced, imo, there is a difference. In an emergency the Admiral conducts the evacuation as she sees fit while I do anything I have to do to secure the boat. I check weather reports in advance and test the VHF before departing. I have two operating cell phones. If we are going out into open water I tell someone of the plan and expected time back. If there are multiple children on board every adult is to "keep an eye" on them.

Post edited by Michael T on