Options

Stiff Volvo Throttle

FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
Hi all,
Need some help/advise again. I have twin 2004 5.7L VP's. Both throttles are very stiff one more so than the other. Friction adjusting screws have been let out all the way. Any suggestions as to how to correct this problem will be deeply appreciated.
Brian

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian, Al @ Alswagg will probably respond to you but it looks like a classic case of cables that need lubrication or replacement due to binding, particularly if you have tried all of the adjustments you can at the throttle housing. You have probably made sure nothing has caused a kink or binding. I'm sure one of the guys will respond soon - hopefully one of the Volvo owners! In the meantime you might want to look at the Rinker FAQs or archives. Good luck!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    This sound like a problem downstream from the shifter itself. One observation...with the Teleflex brand shifter the adjustment screw setting should be on the tight side to keep the lever from being jarred out of its position at higher speeds and in rougher water. Unless you want to keep your hand on the lever all the times in that situation in order to have smoother easier shifting at slower speeds. It's a trade off.

Andy
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    This was a huge problem with our '06 342 from the get go.  The starboard shifter was worse in this respect than the other one.  The only solution that fixed the problem was a complete shifter assembly and cable replacement.  In our case it was a warranty replacement.
  • Options
    FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Thank you all.
    update: appears it is not the throttle that is the problem. It's the shifts that are stiff. (Wish it was me)