Options

Crew safety

I am not the most experienced skipper nor am I saying I know all things boating. I do however, hope I never put my crew' safety in harms way. They are my first priority. I see too many people focusing so much on docking that they don't keep an eye on their crew. It's not worth breaking a limb of worse vs the boat hitting the dock. I'd rather buff the scuff (which I have) or have a bodyshop make the repairs vs calling 911 for an injury.

Whom am I to suggest to someone to keep an eye on their crew and not to allow them to sacrifice themselves over your boat!? It's all responsibility. Dock staff, fellow boater, friends or not. Let's be safe.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tell all guests they are to remain seated and please to refrain rom comments as we approach the slip/dock. The Admiral (my wife) is responsible for ensuring the guests are seated and quiet. She then takes a position where she can see the dock and calls out numbers to me such as 3 feet port (if there are 3 feel left to contact with the port dock edge at port).... 4 feet to stern (if there are 4 feet left between our swim platform and the dock) . I watch the distance to starboard and handle the boat. Finally, she will say mooring lines away, mooring lines secured, engines off. The guests are to stay seated until she informs them that we are secured.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    edited September 2015
    I always have everyone sit down when I dock. I NEVER EVER allow anyone to "ride" on the swim platform when docking. Funny this post comes up today. For some reason I saw many boaters doing unsafe things today. Small children riding on the bow (not a bow rider) seems to be the biggest culprit or people standing on the gunwhale. I just dont get it. Why do "captains" allow this????? Safety first guys (and gals).....
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ray, "captains" allow it because they aren't educated properly and as "The babe" said common sense ain't so common! I'm less positive, I often ask the Admiral if we're surrounded by boating idiots?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do allow my older son to lie down on the bow to hold the front rope. Because I have a single engine and back in, depending on conditions, I have to act quick to keep myself out of trouble. So it's good to have him up there to throw the bow line over to someone if the going gets rough.

Having said that, he is not allowed to stand up, must lie as low as possible (for his security, and also my visibility).

So in my case, it's not for fun, but to assist in the safety of docking.

I also have another at the back of the boat, ready with the stern line. That person almost always has a very easy step onto the dock as I can get within a few inches. I ensure they NEVER jump. I tell them if you can't easily step onto the dock, stay on the boat. In fact I watch that person and tell them when to step on the boat.

EVERYONE else must be seated, music off, talking to a minimum so I can easily communicate with the stern man and bow man.

It's all about being prepared, ensuring everyone knows what I expect of them, and everyone acting on the captain's instructions only.  I hate docking, even though I've done it hundreds of times. I always visualize things going wrong, and play it out in my mind, to keep me calm and collected. Over-reaction, and people not listening doing unsafe things are what causes major mishaps. If everyone is calm, and the boat is going SLOW, the most that can happen is a nudge which won't damage anything.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I have made a dock assist pole for docking. If it's just the Admiral and me with no one else around, we have an extendable pole to which I have attached a 3 foot loop of vinyl coated wire. Using it one can "lasso" a cleat to temporarily (and I do mean temporarily ) hold the boat while a line is secured. @MarkB. I too allow someone with a line on standby at the bow (usually the Admiral) but I really prefer if they wear a life jacket.
  • Options
    I make sure everyone is sitting, no radio, no body on the swim platform, I have the bow line with me at the helm and somebody sitting at the stern has the stern line. The only time I let someone up on the bow is either at the dock or on the hook.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Where do you tie up bow line from the helm? Do you fling it over a cleat?  I leave ropes at the dock.  I am in the process of learning my docking procedure with the admiral.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

06Rinker270 - you have no ropes onboard? You need ropes onboard for safety. I leave my spring lines on the dock (one at stern opposite to slip and one on starboard right beside helm), but I bring the main bow and stern line with me.  The spring lines are good to leave on the dock, as I can hook them up first and know exactly how far back I can move the boat before tying off the other lines. I've got them set so my swim platform is about 4" from the dock.

Ray - I keep my eissenglass snapped in - so I can't hold it the rope from the helm. I need someone lying on the bow to hold that line.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Oh no, I have 5 ropes onboard now(newly added).  As I am backing in my person on the bow uses hook to grab rope dangling on first pylon, attaches rope to bow cleat acting as a preventative from my swim platform smacking the dock if engine fails, yes going slow as possible.  If a second person is on board, person waits, sitting on transom seat until boat engine is off, and then walks out onto swim platform.  Grabs stern spring line that is accessible and waiting without anyone jumping off.  Maybe not the best but I am figuring out what is efficient and safe.     
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

I guess that is okay. The other thing you can do is use put the bow line on the bow cleat with you, and the person on the bow can use a long pole to loop the line over the dock cleat. It might be easier to do that. You would have to have a loop on the end of the rope at the right length so it still stops the boat on time, but that should be easy to do.

I'm waiting for them to create a magnetic system, that will push the boat away in close proximity on both the sides and end of the slip. The idea is that you could just back up and it will slide into place.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    That will work as soon as I have them extend my finger piers.  They only go about 5-6 feet on starboard side, nothing on port so all I have is a pylon with a bike hook.   I really enjoy trying to figure this stuff out and become an educated boater.  

That would be the day with a magnetic system.  Great idea.  Want to go into business?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I leave the bow line on the bow cleat and bring the line to the helm. I always take my side curtains and front dodger off. I just throw the line to someone on the dock. I should tell you that my club has finger slips. Not all clubs have fingers.......
  • Options
    I leave eisenglass off all summer, too hot and gets in the way.  But I am in a covered slip.

Going to start making admiral upfront wear a vest while she is up there.  And its only as I pivoting into the slip, not while moving through fairway. 

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my dock lines stay at the dock, typical around me. Usually my son is on the bow to get the spring line on and then the bow lines. I cover the stern lines once the spring line is on. I never let others 'help'. My idea of help is them sitting down. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    All my lines are on the boat and only I give the go ahead to toss the line to the dock hand OR direct a crew memeber to STEP off the platform. No one moves without my knowledge. And only one person moves a any given time. They all understand the safety responsibility is on me and to wait for my direction. The Ottawa river has brutal currents along win the wind. Too many factors can change in a matter of seconds. No need to have the crew in dangers way.