Options

2015 310 Express Cruiser Questions from a Rinker Newbie

Considering buying a new 310 EC for use around Palm Beach Florida, the Keys and the Bahamas.  Y'all know the boat better than me - thanks for any help from the vets here:
  1. Inboard/outboard in salt water - do I need to keep this boat in dry storage? I've heard that the I/O's don't like salt water. 
  2. Maintenance cost - I will likely put 200+ hours/year on her.  What's the maintenance interval and approx costs to service this boat and gen? 
  3. Scuba - anyone rigged tank racks on her?  Creative suggestions appreciated.  Speargun racks? 
  4. Quality of A/C - with the mid berth adjacent to the engines, I bet it will be hot as **** to sleep in the midberth when we go to Bahamas in the summer?  My 40' Ocean Sportfish was like an oven in the midberth when the engines were hot. 
  5. Rough Seas - she looks a little top heavy - anyone got experience with Bahamas crossings?  or when she's beam to sea in 3'+ seas? 

Serial boat owner, avid scuba diver, chronic spearfisher, tiki bar griller & lady thriller  B)

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why have you choose a 310? I cant wait to make that Bahama crossing with my boat. On my 342 I have never had an issue with the temp from the AC. I keep it cold anyway. 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    A trip to the Bahamas is on our bucket list.
  • Options
    Personally, I am happy we have the canvas top on our 342.  In addition to not raising the center of gravity, I use the support framework to store stuff.  A total of 8 "D" rings secured with "aircraft" clamps allows me to store the cockpit table out of the way on one side and put up to 2 fishing rods underneath the canvas top on the other side.  The canvas top never comes off nor does it leave its "up" position, helping it have a very long useful life.

For salt water use, I would keep it on a lift if possible.  And the Ocean X drives if you go with Volvo's seem to be pretty bullet proof in salt water.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    On storing the scuba tanks, a possible solution would be to go with an '05' 342 or similar that has 4 fender indentions in the transom.  Might be useful for storing the tanks with some creative way to secure them.  There is a ton of storage space under the bench seat on the port side of the boat, would hold "many" tanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    And you can secure a fish rod holder to the rear supports for the canvas top quite easily.  One on each side.  High up in my case.  I guess I am on a roll!
    Post edited by TonyWalker on
  • Options
    Another idea.  If you can find a 342 or similar that have the old Volvo engines with their terrible out drives, you should be able to get it  for a good price.  Then install new Volvo engines with the Ocean X drives.  In my opinion you would have it all.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I guess you can tell I am partial to the good old 342.  Only boat I ever had.  She sure is a good little sea boat.  Got that knowledge first hand.  If Rinker were to build some more of them, they would all sell I am pretty sure.
  • Options
    The Salt Shaker has been mistaken for a Sea Ray a number of times by dock masters we encountered.  I guess that is a compliment.
  • Options
    Tony, I will make that trip with you!
  • Options
    That would be awesome.  If you make any plans, let us know and we will do the same.  
  • Options
    I need details
  • Options
    My email address is in a message sent your way.  It sure will be fun to work this out.

• Options
    PalmBeachCigarLoverPalmBeachCigarLover Member Posts: 4
    The new 310 is well under $200k for what I want, and with the price of used boats so high these days, I'd rather buy new.  The only other bigger model is 36' Rinker, which is more than I need for a weekender.  
    Bahamas is 48 nautical miles from Singer Island Inlet.  Done that crossing many times, weather is always good going but variable returning.  Have you gents had your boats out in 3+ seas often?  How she handle? 
    Serial boat owner, avid scuba diver, chronic spearfisher, tiki bar griller & lady thriller  B)

• Options
    I have been in 7-8 foot swells. Not fun but made it. Threw up 3 times LOL. Water went over the bow a few times. Not fun
  • Options
    Lake Huron and Lake Michigan tried to beat us up.  We got our respect for the sea capabilities of our boat on those two bodies of water.  Learned from a "surfing" website that when the coast guard gives the wave period in seconds, multiply that by three and that is how fast the wave train is traveling in knots.  Almost exactly was our experience on Lake Michigan..
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I can only respond to question #5. Three foot seas would be uncomfortable but the boat can handle it. I wouldn't stay beam on to those seas. My biggest concern would be encountering big following seas and/or rogue waves. I've read enough about boating off of Florida to know that things can go bad fast.

I wouldn't pick an express cruiser style boat of any brand if safety and comfort in open water far offshore with potential big seas is your #1 priority.

Andy
  • Options
    Funny thing about following seas, it was on Lake Michigan that the radio forecast was 6 seconds between waves.  According to my 3x formula, that would made the wave speed 18 knots and the distance between crests of 360 feet.  This sea was on our stern and we could hang on the back of one of these huge rollers going exactly 18 knots per the GPS.  The trough to peak looked to be about 180 feet judged by what it looked like to us.  This was during one of our legs on the great loop. 

A companion boat, a trawler was thoroughly beat up by any sea that was on his stern he just did not have the speed to keep up with almost any wave train.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Tony Handy has that problem also............LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Not with 4 blade props dumbo3
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    4 blade 5 blade it does not matter. Still not like the gassers brother. You will always be playing catch up......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I pass them all at the pump. Wait, didnt we have this convo before? LOL
  • Options

This kind of railing would be good
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    PBCL I had a 2013 EC 310 and it was a great boat. It could handle 3 foot waves but I'd rather not do that very much if I had the choice. There was just too much rollercoastering, it made the Admiral queasy. I now have a 2014 EC 360 with 8.2 Mags and it can easily handle 3 foot waves. IMO I'd look for a good used fresh water 360 with 8.1s or 8.2s OR a 342 with 6.2s  BTW your American dollar has a 35% premium in Canada. A local broker told me he has been selling Canadian fresh water boats to Americans like crazy this summer. You can look for American and Canadian used fresh water boats on Yachtworld and Canadian boat trader. I think there is a demo 2014 Rinker EC 360 with Axius and 8.2 Mags B3s with about 30 hours on it for sale on Yachtworld for USD 173K - I'd call that a deal. Have it shipped and you'd still save big over a new EC 310 AND you'd have huge room and an 18K AC unit as well as a much bigger boat. You can make ice in the rear berth with that 18K BTU AC unit. LOL.