Options

Keep Chartplotter I have or update?

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
I have a Standard Horizon CP175c....seems decent, but fairly old. Has NT+ maps in it now. Now that said, this IS updateable to use MAX maps, and from my limited knowledge they are quite a bit better? So do I spend 200 on new maps, or sell it, and buy a new system for 1000+ bucks? I'm not sure I know what I'll be gaining? Sure might be quicker, and maybe touch screen, but is there really that much difference for the extra money? Thanks
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd like a touch screen, it'd just get all cloudy from fingerprints imo. 

I have a standard horizon cp180i, and haven't upgraded the maps yet. The bigger screens are nice, but are you pretty familiar with the areas you boat? A thousand bucks is a lot of gas and beverages to buy something that's working fine right now....
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    :/ No, I'm a noob to the boating scene....
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    How about updating the charts and keeping it for a year.  That would give you a chance to figure out what you really need.  Maybe the CP175c is enough.  But definitely update the charts if you keep it.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    IMO the touch screen would be hard to use in rough waters. To much bouncing around..........  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    :o Thanks guys.....will prob stick with it for now....been an expensive month/boat/supplies/ slip/ etc
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Touch screen---ugh!.  I had one trip aboard a boat so equipped.  I was a raving maniac by the time we reached our destination.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a touch screen fish finder and gps. It's not that bad. I actually like it. Easy to navigate on. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I like the Ray Marine E 95 combination touch screen/control knob. Good sized screen 9"  diagonal. I wanted an E 125 but there was not enough room at the helm to flush mount it. With the dual function you have a choice between touch/pinch/zoom or rotary/push control knob. Best of both worlds IMO.....@BMXZ there are often Fall and Spring specials on GPS units particularly if they are a discontinued unit. Look at the Defender Marine and West Marine websites. I have had friends who bought units on craigslist etc from guys who up-graded but obviously no warranty and buyer beware.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah my neighbor has the E95 and I think an E55 monitor. They are nice units. The Simrad systems also have dual functionality, touch control and dials on the side. Was really easy to use when my neighbor had that (on his old boat he sold).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Touch-screen for fair weather, buttons for foul.  Gotta have buttons.  
  • Options
    @LaRea, 100% ....and I use the rotary knob even on days when I am getting rocked by boat wakes or it's like a drunken sailor trying to point at something. LOL
  • Options

I used it tonight, don't like it, its gonna get replaced this winter. Thanks guys

• Options
    @BMXZ, well, if you don't like it that's enough for me. I read paper charts if I'm going on a trip into areas I have never been before or areas that are known to have tricky channels just to have a reference point for my GPS. That said my GPS is my go to route information guide. So, I do rely very much on my GPS and if I felt I couldn't read it or use it easily it would be replaced. IMO you need to be able to see your route data on your GPS easily, operate its functions easily and trust the information. Marine stores often have a number of GPS units on display with dummy programs loaded onto them so you can get a feel for how their displays work. The internet is a good place to search-out info too. There are lots of cool islands and channels to explore around Belleville but IMO you do need a good GPS to stay out of trouble in that area - I have boated there many times. Have fun looking.
  • Options
    Well I got a deal(75$) on a C MAP MAX C card for the one I have, and it has WAY more detail  now, huge difference. Only had a NT+ card in it. So this will work for now, this at least makes it livable.
  • Options
    @BMXZ Good news! There is some real shallow water where you boat and your GPS will be your best friend. If you need a stocking stuffer for Christmas ask the Admiral to get you a Ports Book (The edition for cruising Lake Ontario and the 1000 Islands). There is supposed to be an up-dated version coming out soon. They are fantastic guide and information books.
  • Options
    Hey that looks like a good read, thanks!