Water in oil and cylinders

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Had engine troubles..hard to start, using throttle only button, starts up then dies, smell fuel, sluggish when execrating, engine died while in fairway underway.  I had no time over holiday weekend so I called the mechanic to stop by today.  Found water in oil, water in 3 cylinders, and said the exhaust manifold is cracked.  Compression is good.  He is taking home oil filter to see if he finds metal shavings.  Boat ran fine before it came out of water to get bottom paint, outdrive paint, fireboy installed and fuel filters replaced.  I go back in and immediately bad issues.  Am I looking at a new engine or believe its just exhaust manifold?   I got zero alarms, engine temp and oil pressure great all weekend.       
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,535 mod
    Ugh.  Sounds expensive.  Did it overheat somehow?  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Oh boy Patrick, hang in there.  I've been thru that myself many years ago on our first boat.  Unfortunately, outcome was a new engine.  But, each situation is different.  If it just happened, it is possible they can save the engine.  The big thing is, hopefully you found yourself a decent mechanic.  That can make or break you.  If you were a bit closer, I'd have someone I'd recommend.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    When our cracked manifolds hydra locked the engine I ended up rebuilding the engine. Depends on the engine but our 8.1 was expensive to rebuild. Good luck! 

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    So it looks like a cracked manifold and mechanic thinks we caught it in time.  The engine was hydrolocked but he was able to get it to start and get all the water out.  We are going to replace manifolds and risers, change oil a few times and hope for the best.  Mechanic seems to think I wont have to rebuild...god I hope so.  He blames it on failure to winterize properly, done by Marina where I bought the boat back in November 2014.  No metal in oil filter.  He does say there is an odd sound coming from transom area, thinks it might be bad gimbal bearing.  Not sure if its related.  

@LaRea no overheating, right at 170 all the time.

@Dream_Inn what happened in your situation?  I do have a fantastic mechanic, finally.  He went to boat less than 24hrs after I told him my issues which may have saved me from water corroding engine.  BTW what do you guys pay for your mechanic? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Mine was water ingestion due to faulty Risor.  I learned a few hard lessons from my first boat many years ago.  As far as what to pay for a mechanic, it's a bit tough to just say a rate.  But I do know from comparison's for getting similar/same things done that mine is usually much cheaper and has always backed his work.  I tend to do most of the work myself if I can.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited September 2015
    Yes I am learning a few hard lessons myself.  I wish I would have checked my oil before I went out for they day, etc.  Did the riser go bad and you used the boat for a while or was it instantaneous?  I really do try and do most myself but this one I am having done.  If its a matter of saving the engine I will pay to have him do it.  Regular maintenance I do. 

Could your riser have been prevented?  I am wondering what I could have done to prevent mine.  I thought the risers and manifolds were good, little did I know there was a crack forming. 
    Post edited by 06Rinker270 on
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Well it looks like I lucked out, engine was saved.  Mechanic says manifold had a crack that had been slowly getting worse.  He blames it on faulty winterization as the crack is on inside and outside.  Made a insurance claim, who knows.  Honestly I am just relieved that I dont have a 10k new engine bill.  Thanks for the input everyone.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Glad you saved the engine! Not all get that lucky i'm sure
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
    @chrissyscall why did you disagree with the post? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Maybe a miss-type. I asked a guy one time why he disagreed with a comment I made and he said he had miss-typed. I wasn't upset, freedom of speech right, I just wanted to know if I had gotten something wrong?
    edited October 2015
    Exactly why I was asking.  It all is such a learning process for me I want to know EVERYTHING! 

Oh and a little update, boat is running well.  No more water in oil.  

However, insurance is not agreeing with tech on faulty winterization.  Oh well, I got OEM manifolds and risers, which was already on the list to do anyways.  Only additional cost I was not expecting was his labor if I had done them myself.  I am just happy to still have my baby up and running.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    edited November 2015
    Insurance is going to cover about 65%, about $1300.  Remaining balance was for other manifold and an hour of labor.  Is it worth it to make the claim or should I just eat it?  My deductible is $250 and shouldn't go up
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270