Options

For those of you that run on the Ocean...

TheSaltTheSalt Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
So my wife and I this weekend talked to a couple that routinely take their 30' Chris Craft all the way from Salt Lake down to Newport Beach and take a week long stint at Catalina Island.  Sounded like a total blast.  We want to do this but I am wondering if my boat is capable. We would probably stay/camp on the boat if we did this.  
I guess my question is...  Can my 266 Fiesta Vee handle this kind of trip?  Single Bravo 3 outdrive with a 454. We do a bunch of big lakes, ie Flaming Gorge, Lake Powell and Lake Havasu... so we do a bunch of distance on the boat and have run into bad weather and waves at Powell and the Gorge.  I have heard that some of the big ocean liners can throw pretty big wakes. What would I watch out for being an ocean trip?  Any advice?

Thanks

Matt
~ 1998 266 Fiesta Vee 7.4 B3 ~ Salt Lake City, Utah ~
Post edited by TheSalt on

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never go out in the Ocean without 2 motors
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a fleet of a couple of or more boats   There is safety in numbers.  We had a neighbor disappear in 2010 aboard his very capable trawler type cruiser during one of his often taken trips from Nassau to Marathon.  He was by himself.  No wreckage, nothing floating in the water, nothing.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree. I would only do it in a fleet of boats. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hesitate to take a 266 in good condition to Catalina, single engine boats make the trip solo routinely. Avoid Santa Ana conditions and have a towing service membership. Pay attention in the shipping lane and steer clear of all boat wakes.

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Wow Tony, that sent a shiver up my spine. Might start wearing that kill switch lanyard when going solo.
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    We always had the thought that it was pirates.  No other explanation would would make any sense.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony, open sea - shotgun - and I'm not talking about a second boat....although I certainly agree that a caravan for open seas travel is best!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was pirates, one would certainly be out gunned. Then you have the little problem of entering port with firearms on board. Try doing that in Canada...lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Not good in Canada LOL But my parents had a lot of friends in Ft. Lauderdale with boats that took rifles with them if cruising in the Caribbean. I'd rather die in a gun battle that be boarded, gutted and thrown overboard.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Like an RV/camper, surprisingly even in California, a boat with sleeping quarters is legally considered your temporary "dwelling" and so having a firearm on board is within the law assuming you meet all other qualifications to bear arms, exercise prudence, common sense, and don't do stupid stuff. Mossberg makes a nice stainless marine model 500 pump gun. And you can launch flares with it too!

Bass Pro carries them for $550.

Andy
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct Andy
  • Options
    Nothing like playing possum, then meeting a pirate boarding party with a few shotgun blasts. Don't want to advocate violence but anyone boarding/trying to board another person's boat, particularly in the open sea, should not be surprised to be looking at a gun (IMO)
  • Options
    Back to the topic...people routinely run 80/120 miles of open water on Lake Michigan. I'd challenge anyone that it is no different and possibly at times more challenging than open ocean. Float plan, marine radio + handheld, EPIRB, radar all make it safe. Plus SOLAS flares/smoke signals. Many small single engine boats cross the lake by themselves. Just be prepared and know the weather. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    .....and file travel route and destination plans with friends. I have friends who cross the various Great Lakes and they have pre-arranged check-in times with friends.
  • Options
    Just like when you were a kid and had to call home to let people know where you are.  Good idea with check in times. 

SPOT messengers are nice for that too and fairly inexpensive.  Plus you can use them anywhere on the planet.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI