Co2 detector 2014 310 EC

was out for the first ride in our new Rinker 310 and about an hour the co2 detector started sounding in the cabin. It was a nice day so we had no canvas up except for the Bimini top.  Generator was running but all seemed good
any input would be helpful. I read several comments on a similar post and will certainly also get a monitor

Answers

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were you going fast or idling? 

The seal between the engine compartment and cabin is not 100%. Also at idle and certain speeds the wind can turn back into the boat sending fumes into the cabin. 

The best thing to do is keep the blower on and make sure there's ventilation in the cabin by opening up portal windows. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I think you mean CO (carbon monoxide) not CO2 (carbon dioxide.)

Andy
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Common mix up in terms.  I read right past it until it was pointed out.  lol
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I found a cool CO detector at Wal-Mart.  It has a read out on its face.

Just for grins, once I took the CO detector that came with the boat into our garage while the car was in there and running.  Man, did it ever scream at me, instantly,  Of  course the garage door was fully open.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    TW, that is what I have on my boat.  I like being able to see the digital readout and it running on battery (not boat battery).  I keep it in cockpit while driving and then usually leave it in the salon area the rest of the time.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• DanKittilsenDanKittilsen Member Posts: 2
    Yes that is correct I did mean carbon monoxide. Thanks
    we were at cruising speed and did have the cabin door open as well with the hatch open as well so it seemed like we had plenty of ventilation
    i like the idea of a digital readout monitor rather than just a detector, will be running up to Walmart to grab that for sure.
    thanks all for the feedback!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a great thread on this a year or so ago. There is a big difference between a CO monitor and your typical home/marine/RV type. A monitor is real time, the other runs an algorythm based on CO level and time...by the time it goes off you are already in trouble. 

This is a good read:  http://coexperts.com

you might be shocked how common 10ppm CO is on your boat. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 2014 EC 310 and I had two choices to avoid the "backdrafting" of CO into the cockpit at cruising speeds (it was not an issue for me until I was up on plane). I could open all of the cockpit canvas so the air blew right through the cockpit or I could completely close the rear canvas and open up some of the front canvas - like the vinyl section above the window walk through. We found as long as there was more air pressure towards the stern the Co would not "backdraft".  We follow the same procedures with our 2014 EC 360.  We also have a CO detector (a constantly sampling type) in the cockpit to ensure safety.