Options

Another Scary Boat Fire Video(s)

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last week the Admiral and I were standing on the new gas docks at the marina where a serious boat fire just took place. The gas dock area looked state-of-the art to me. New pumps, cement dock, lots of room, professionally attired and knowledgeable young men. The marina staff and owner are highly respected in the area. This marina is about 15 minutes by boat from my marina. I do not know the details as we have just returned home from a trip through the Rideau Canal System (more about that on another post) to be told of this by friends. The gas docks where the fire occurred are an integral part of a very large marina with many big and very expensive boats. This could have been a monstrous disaster. There must have been some pretty quick thinking by someone to prevent a total marina fire. If you want to get a scare "google" Peck's Marina Fire there should be a number of videos.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One would think the S-Stop for the pumps was triggered as a start.  Cement dock helps too.  A fuel dock can be100% safe...all no good if the boat has problems.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'm hearing rumours that the boat's fuel lines may have been "spongy". That would do it.
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I mean how do you avoid stuff like this, is it just being smart and checking all your equipment all the time?  Seems so overwhelming.  Fuel lines spongy?  Makes me want to go to my boat now and check the fuel lines.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    06 I am with you. Fuel lines spongy.......... Maybe they are like that from the fire. As long as there are no leaks I would think running your blower after fueling should be good enough. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He might have cleaned them with a non-compatible cleaning agent. Something also might have spilled on them.  Overheating from a previous event?? Who knows.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

I don't know at what point fuel lines lose their integrity. I am pretty sure my tech checks my fuel lines every year at Fall lay-up. I check them every Spring  before launch. I believe a bad fuel line can be detected by feel as it will compress more easily that a good one. I believe a fuel line will also look dated as in faded and different composition look when needing replacement. I speculate that ethanol based fuels are probably harder on the fuel lines that non-ethanol. When the "real" details of the fire at Peck's Marina are  released (if they are) I'll make a short post. This fire sure has everyone around my boating area freaked-out.

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    all the talk on here sure has me freaked out.  I guess I need to start checking/replacing everything...half joking.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw something recently about old fuel lines and suggestions to replace them at 10 years.  Visual inspection and running over them with a cotton glove can do a lot.  The glove will catch on frayed/cracked hose.  Looking for rubbing points is good too.  I know on my 342 there are things tied to the fuel hose to the tank via zip ties.  Vibration can rub through things faster than you might suspect.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Saw that, ......makes me nervous!!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi