Options

Speedometer not working

I went to use my boat this weekend and noticed the speedometer was not working. Not sure if it is a loose wire, fuse or something use I need to check. I have a 2014 Rinker 196 bowrider. I checked the manual and there was no info that helped. Any help or suggestions appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    blocked pitot tube. if you are in the water and can get to the back of the speedo pull the water tube from the back 0f the speedo, after planing you should have water coming out of the tube. if on the trailer check the water inlet port on the front of the lower unit and look for blockage (most likely the problem) apply water or air pressure from the speedo end to try and clear.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ 99270fv's advice id sound. Also, check your ground wire to the gauge. It should not be loose on a 2014 but stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    You can also switch to a GPS speedometer.  They make replacement gauges that come with a GPS puck to show your speed.  I removed mine all together and just use the chartplotter to tell me my speed.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    watermarkwatermark Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok guys, I disconnected the tube off the back of the speedo and I could not blow air thru the tube with 100 psi air. I have an older transducer on the bottom of the transom with a paddle wheel which is free. Im not sure where the tubing goes to until I trace it out. Im used to seeing the pick up connected to the tube. It has worked since I got the boat. 
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    What should be done with the pitot tube if he replaces his speedo with a GPS type? I assume that the tube should the tube be plugged?
  • Options
    IF you don't locate the source of the pitot tube - exiting the drive, on a stand alone on the hull or .... then it should be blocked-off at the helm. If you disconnect it, remove the original gauge go to to an electronic alternative like a gps or merc monitor or vessel view and the orininal pitot is left "as is" just disconnected and whatever is blocking it frees-up it will blast water all over the inside of the helm - not a good thing.
  • Options
    Where does it go out Michael? Thru the drive or the transom? Is there a pickup inside the drive?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
     The tube goes into the drive. Not sure which one since you have twins. If you run your hand down the front of the drive, you can feel the pickup just above where the prop shaft is at. You can clean it out with a long 1/8 inch drill bit. Chances are it is clogged there.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Maybe they pinched the tube when they replaced the transom plate?
  • Options
    Ok I found the tube and it looks like it goes on a barb at the transom plate 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    They might have missed connecting it to the drive when they replaced the plate.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Just watched a Youtube video on the tube and the hole at the bottom of the drive 
  • Options
    Sorry for the slow reply Steve, I'm visiting friends in Phoenix BTW the weather is Great here -  and using my cell phone :-(  On my drives the opening in the drive casing is a small notch in the leading edge of the casing. There is a black plastic  tube that exits the back of the drive and connects via a fitting to the plastic tube that goes through the transom and up to your speedo.  This can be twisted, pinched or just left disconnected by a sloppy tech ,  after doing a drive service -  this happened twice to me in the past leaving the water to spray at the drive exit giving me 0 mph reading at my speedo. 
  • Options
    Yes I am going to buy a long plank to join the 2 dock spans so I can go right under the boat to the drive
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    You might do better with a painters scaffold.  They are a lot sturdier.
  • Options
    Steve,  I always knew that your comments on the forum would result in you "having to walk the plank" one day!!!!!!! LOL
  • Options

Here it is. I got under the drive and the tube was pinched somehow. I cut it with a knife and reattached it to the yellow plastic fitting. Now I am trying to fix the trim sensor. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    That looks like it could be a bit flimsy.  A good investment Steve might be a float platform.  I have one that I use all the time and it really is great!  You could also just put a board on each side from cradle to cradle, this will allow access to keep those blue sides nice and clean.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream, that plank is solid. I would like it wider but it will do. 
  • Options
    Dream, can you walk around your lift like my dock?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Handy how much water is under your lift/boat. Looks shallow. Is that a rock and a small fish or a reflection? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Handy, I unfortunately only have one side I can walk around. 

I guess if it is solid, go with it and see if it works out.  You can always use a float or dinghy to get to something underneath if need be.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Ray, the water is way down today for some reason. 2.5 feet deep under boat. Would not float today. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Is that the lowest it gets? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Yes Ray. I havent looked at the tide charts today. Normal level is 4-5 feet deep
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read the water is draining from Cape Coral area and they don't expect the water levels to b up for several months....
  • Options
    Was up today.  Thanks Rat. Lol
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I had same issue with spedo not working. The water input hole on front of drive was plugged. Used 1/8" drill bit and screwed in by hand, then pulled material out. Unhooked yellow fitting on tube before going thru transom (used when pulling lower unit), blew air back towards drive. Speedo has worked great since. I think there is a You tube video if you google it showing how to do this.
  • Options
    Yes, I watched it. My issue was different.