Options

Squeaky sound

watermarkwatermark Member Posts: 16
When I took my boat out this weekend I noticed a squeaky sound from the engine - I own a 2014 Rinker 196 bow rider with a 4.3 Mercury Mercruiser inboard motor - I only have 30 hours on the boat. I stopped the engine and checked the oil - which was a bit low and topped it up but the noise was still there. Then I thought the fan belt may be a bit lose but it seemed tight. I also noticed my oil pressure was a bit high as well. Not sure what to do. Any advice is appreciated!!
Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited September 2015
    Being a 2014, I wouldn't expect any squeaks but you could check all of the bearings on the front of the engine including the alternator,  water pump,  belt tensioner and power steering pump. 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Is it still under warranty?  If so get a merc certified tech to look at it. 

Could be the belt. How do you know it's tight enough? 
    Post edited by MarkB on

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @watermark, like @MarkB said, don't mess around with your engine pulleys etc. it should have a two year Mercury  warranty on it. Let the dealer service with it. Check your engine oil when it is at operating temperature to make sure you haven't overfilled it by mistake and hence the higher oil pressure. If your oil level falls within the hash marks on the dip stick and your oil pressure is still reading too high you need to inform your dealer. Don't drive your boat if it is under warranty and showing issues. Your dealer will likely be able to read code and see that you have been operating it when there are problems and that may void any warranty. Report your issues and get warranty work performed.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I had a squeaky serpentine belt on my 342.  I tried changing the belt tension, but it didn't help.  Then I replaced the belt and never had another problem with it.  

Take a close-up look at your belt -- any unusual wear?  Look on the floor under the engine --- any little "crumbs" of rubber?  

You might consider installing a new belt.  If the noise goes away, problem solved, and you can keep the original belt as an emergency spare.  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belt squeaks should be easy to find, it will move with the engine RPM.  Usually the issue is one of the idler pulleys or belt itself.  Belt wear from improper tension (too tight is just as bad or worse), contamination on it (oil/grease/dirt).

As noted, being new, make a warranty call.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Does the squeak, increase when you rev the motor up then die down at all? you can try spraying a little wd40 on the belt with the motor running, if it stops then you know its the belt.

• Options
    You can also spray WD40 on the pulley shaft, and it will probably stop squeeking right away (I've done this on a truck before to issolate the issue). If it's a pulley, the squeeking will come back, and the bearing will need to be replaced.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    watermarkwatermark Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the comments - I will try some of these suggestions and let you know what worked!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know, the above are decent ideas to isolate the problem. WD-40 / 'belt dressing' stuff does not solve any problem with a belt and usually causes more problems. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I agree with BD.  The easiest way to tell if it is the belt, take a bar of soap, while the engine is running and put the soap against the belt.  If it stops making noise, replace the belt.  I just went thru this on mine and my belts are on order (should install this Friday).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Or dish soap works.

"Boat + Water = Fun"