Options

Question about Trim Tabs

l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Hi all....

I know many of you have the same boat as I do (2002 342FV). Are our trim tabs electric or hydrolic? Also what manufacture? The problem I am having is when I put tabs down to get on plane faster I think only one is coming up. The boat lists to port really bad. Never did this until about 4 months ago. I have played with the switches and got the boat level, pretty sure tabs are up (?). Boat is in the water so can't see them. Where and what can I do from inside the boat to investigate this problem such as add fluid or check voltage or check something else.

Any help would be really nice, planning trip to San Francisco in 3 weeks and want to fix this.

Thanks for any help.

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

Comments

• Options
    Goods28Goods28 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    they are both electric and hydrolic. check your  fluid level and run them and see if you see any fluid at the stern. if so the hoses probably need to be replaced or the cylinders replaced. i had the same problem and got off easy by replacing the hoses. http://www.insta-trim.com
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Len on my 2002 342 they are Lenco tab's and they are electric. I kind of have the same problem. My boat was listing S/B. As it turns out my hydraulic out drives lift cylinders run a 2 different speeds. I was using my trailer button to trim out my boat and the port side lifts much faster than the starboard side. What was happening is my port out drive was up a little when I thought it was down. BTW I do not like the electric trim tabs. Electric motor sitting in salt water is not a good mix IMO....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    edited September 2015
    If the switch at the helm looks like this, you have Lenco electric trim tabs:

http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/products/lenco-switch-kits/led-indicator-switch-kit-single  

Here's an easy way to tell whether both trim tabs are working.  From the swim platform, reach down with a boat hook and touch the edge of the trim tab while a helper presses the up/down buttons.  Count how many seconds it takes to go through the full range of travel.  The port and stbd tabs should be the same.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice and simple upgrade to the Lenco actuators is the newer style controller and switches that retract the tabs at power off and light up to show you the tab position too.

IF you have one stuck, it is worth getting to quick.  I had one crack a few years ago and the electrical current leakage really ratted up my fresh rebuilt/painted out drives.  Not a happy camper about that.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Ray...

Are you saying that on your boat the motors for the trim tabs are on the outside of the boat?  On mine the only thing on the outside is the tab and what looks like a hydrolic cylinder.

LaRea..Just before reading you post I was thinking about using the boat hook as you said to check them.

So I guess I will check them with the boat hook then go crawl around the engine compartment to find the motor and pump or what ever I need to find. Any one know where these thing are and what type of fluid they use?

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what a LENCO trim tab looks like, and it is electric.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Mark....

That is kind off what mine look like. I never paid much attention to them the last time the boat was hauled so not sure. I don't remember seeing anything on the inside of the boat, so I think this is what I have. Thanks for the pic, makes things a lot clearer. Will poke around with the boat hook and see what I find out.

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    • I had a problme with my insta-trim tabs on mine last year.  had a cracked hose and the fluid leaked out.  On the port side transom you will see a motor and fluid resevoir.  if yours are not lenco, add automatic transmission fluid to that resevoir and see if it fixes the problem.  mine worked for one day after refilling, then it was empty again.  replaced a cracked hose and all was good.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful there's also a reservoir on the port side (of my boat anyhow) for drive tilt mechanism. Don't mix them up.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Yes Len the Lenco trim tabs are an basically an electric motor and sits in the water.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Yes electric trim tabs resemble hydraulic cylinders, but they are like the power door lock actuators on some cars, the motor drives a pinion gear that moves a shaft like a steering rack.  The motor only turns a few revolutions to extend the shaft.  The rubber thing that looks like a hydraulic hose is the wire.
  • Options

Thanks again for all the info, I have learned a lot.

Len