Prop questions......

As in my other post, I tore up my props. Rear one really bad, front one has a small ding on one blade. I can't find props anywhere till later next week. The wife and I booked Monday off to go out and do a small day trip. Is it crazy to pull the rear prop, and run it easy on the front prop for a day? I realize it wont work the best, but don't plan on running it hard anyway, was going to be a nice slow sightseeing day.

Second question was, a couple of people mentioned going to a 4/3 combo. Who/where do I find info on that? I found Hill Marine site but that was it. Thanks guys 

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 4/3 combo was for a Bravo 3 drive. Merc came up with a 4 blade front prop to give the drive better performance. I am not sure if VP has an option like that.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I see hill marine makes 4 prop ones, but don't wanna get in to experimenting, already broke from buying boat last week ;-)
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belleville. I would not run on one prop. I'm not even sure that's possible. But the main issue is if you have stainless props and hit them hard then you may have bent the hub and it might not be balance. It could be even worse. I would get a much to observe the drive to make sure you don't cause more damage. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Put a dial indicator(I'm a licensed Auto Tech)  on shaft, not bent. Yes can run on the front prop, so they said at marina. In theory can't see why not, sure its not RIGHT per say, but I just plan on a real easy ride. It worked decent enough on trip home, with the mangled rear, how much worse can it be ....lol . The front one had a little wing on one blade, so made a couple of templates from hard plastic, and spent an hr working the bent one back into close shape. I'll pull and send out this winter and get it fixed right. I realize this surely is  not the correct way to do things, but the wife and I planned this a while ago and can't change days off. I'm not usually one to rush or cobble things, but I guess I'm going to see how this works.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    You'll be surprised what will work when the book says it will not. I'm sure you will be ok just don't push it. Have a great vacation!
    2008 330EC
  • LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Volvo penta as a 4/3 duo prop 
    Well it worked fine, slow obviously, and steering not as sharp, but certainly usable. Just went easy, had a great time.