Options

water in bilge

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I have jumped on a couple of other threads on this subject and came across what I think is my problem.  I am going to assume my problems started when I did more over night at the marina trips. Seems when we did day trips water in the bilge was never an issue.  It seems now when the boat is in the water longer, I'm getting more water in it. Thinking it was rain, thinking it was the bellows and generally thinking the worst. I was checking something down below this weekend while at the marina and I finally saw the water running but in  spurts.  I first thought it was at the strainer for the genny. So I turned the sea valve off and was going to look at it later but noticed water still coming in around that area- when I looked closer, there is a hose that comes from behind the fire wall, it is a Rinker hose.....it is fastened to the floor and terminates towards the lower part of the bilge- not hooked up to anything- and every now and then water starts running out of it and then stops.  I'm not sure how much you northern boaters run your air but here in Fl, if it's at the marina it is on the air and it's running pretty much all the time- I am not particularly knowledgeable on the a/c systems, but, is this condensation from the air running? It has to go somewhere just like at your house I would think? It's on the same side as the a/c unit...what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Put a little food coloring in the A/C pan and see if it drains into the bilge.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    is there a pan? I was thinking along that line and my main concern now is, what if this becomes plugged up or something??? I have looked at the return but since everything has been working fine with the a/c, have not delved into it...had enough other stuff to keep me busy!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    My 342 has a pan. The unit is under the V berth....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a pan. On the 270 the unit is in the aft cabin. If it becomes plugged, it will leak onto the floor in the aft cabin. Chances are the pan will rust out before the hose becomes plugged.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Is the pan accessible right behind the return filter screen in the aft cabin or do you have to unscrew a panel?
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Is the pan accessible right behind the return filter screen in the aft cabin or do you have to unscrew a panel?
    Some are some there is a panel to the left to access pan drain. 
  • Options
    wow cable, neither of those are good choices. I really do not have time for my job to keep up with all this stuff. Thanks for the info...now not 100% on this but seems there was another on the other side? I've had the fridge out and did not see anyway for it to drain, guess it does not have those issues....for the condenser.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Put an extention on the hose and link it to your shower sump.  There's an extra port availble to hook it to.  The the auto pump will do the rest.
  • Options
    ah, good idea life! I hate water in the wrong places...
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

My AC unit and pan is behind the air return grill in the mid-berth.  My pan is accessible. By the way mine is a plastic pan, I think they changed them to plastic after all the issues with the steel ones.

I believe mine already goes to the shower sump. I can't see a hose coming into the bilge, other than he one from my hot water tank pressure relief (we added this, so that if the pressure relief does lift, it won't spray everywhere and especially onto the battery charger. It will basically go via the hose directly into the bilge.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 350s and 360s AC pans have a hose connected to a trough hull at the bow.
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Good to know MarkB as I have the 2014 model of your same boat, and where my AC condensation seems to go eventually is into the mid cabin bilge.  I'm glad to know there's a pan behind that air return/filter.  By the way that shore power main breaker/combo leakage fault light I asked you about (mine was flashing green instead of steady green) was defective and the push to test did not even work.  Rinker sent me a new one under warranty.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pan on my 2014 EC 360 which is under the front berth has a 3/4" shim under the port side of the pan to slope the pan to the drain hole on the starboard side.
  • Options
    very good info guys, thanks to all!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howardrams not 100% sure if it goes to the shower sump but it heads that direction. It's possible that it goes into a drain channel and gravitates to the bilge. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"