Options

stuck autobilge running battery down

youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
can a float switched auto bilge pump wear down a battery even if its connected to the battery charger (1995 Fiesta Vee 265) ? The reason I ask is, the other day we went down to the boat and it would not start. Both the house and the start battery were dead. Both batts were connected to the charger. I then took the start battery and the alternator home for testing. The battery was good and the alternator looked good but for 80bucks I bought a new one. Installed both. When I connected the battery, a spark jumped off the pos battery post. I proceeded to do the easter egg hunt for what was on and could find nothing. The wife reminded me that this boat has the hidden bilge pump under the stairs. When I found it, it was laying on its side, not running but when I touched it, it came on. I then placed it in its holder and checked the battery for sparks, NOTHING NADA ZIPP. 
SOOOOO the question remains, can a bilge pump not pumping but still on drain the batteries even if on a charger in a matter of 5 days?
Thanks
Steve

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't think it would kill the batteries with the charger on. Does sound like you might have a ground problem though.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Two issues here: 1) Was the pump drawing current, and 2) could it drain the batteries while the charger is connected.  

When you picked up the bilge pump, was it warm?  That would indicate a power draw even though the motor wasn't spinning.    

With the pump laying on its side, the float switch would turn on the pump.  After several days running dry, it could potentially overheat or damage the pump motor.  I'd test the pump, and replace it if you have any doubts about it.

Second question: no, the only way the bilge pump could drain the batteries would be if your charger stopped working (or if your shore power was off).  Is it the original charger from 1995?  Take a close look at the body of the charger ... any cracks or signs of overheating?  If in doubt, replace that sucker.  

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible the charger went into fault mode. You need to switch off the breaker and back on to reset. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Went down to the boat last night. Checked for spark again at the battery Pos. Post.  Nothing, so im thinking that it has to be the pump was stuck on. Now as to why the battery charger didnt keep up I have no idea. Im thinking that I will be replacing the charger if for anythinge else because it is 20 years old
    Thanks 
    Steve
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I'd say you got your money's worth out of that charger.  Time for a new one.

Did you figure out how the pump came loose from the holder?
  • Options
    Im thinking that when I last checked it, I didnt put it back in the holder properly. Then when I hit a wake it bounced out and landed on its side.