Bilge pump problems

My bilge pump that is connected to my dash rocker switch quit working.   I bought a new pump, but before I replaced it I disconnected the plug and tested for power to the plug from the switch.   At the plug there are three wires.  One I assume is common, one goes to the bilge pump, one goes to the float switch.   From the negative terminal of the battery for my ground, I checked for power at all three wires with the dash switch on and off.    Nothing.   I then noticed the "light" on the dash switch (which on all other switches indicates "on" was not illuminating when the rock switch was clearly on.  Not sure if the light is a symptom, or an indicator that something is wrong with the pump. 

I don't have a schematic or a wiring diagram, but the lack of power at the plug makes me feel like it is power issue and not a pump issue.    I looked to see if there is an in-line fuse for the bilge pump even though my gut tells me there should not be a fuse protecting a $25 pump when its duty is to protect my boat from sinking.   Also I would think if the dash rocker switch somehow went bad, the float switch would not be affected.   I would think these would be two independent power sources.  

Unfortunately I am stumped.   Has anyone experienced this problem?  Does anyone know where I can get the schematic and/or wiring diagram for a 2008 Rinker Express Cruiser 280?   I could install a new pump and float and get power directly from the battery, but my boat is fairly wet and I like being able to pump out from the dash switch.  Thanks for taking the time to read.

Answers

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes there is a fuse/breaker. There has to be. There's a bigger risk of a short causing a fire on your boat, which can only be protected via a fuse/breaker - due to high amperage.

I believe my breaker is at the batter switch panel by my helm gate. Open this up and you should find a few there. If not look directly under your steering wheel at the helm, I have a bunch of breakers there as well. If the pin is popped out, you need to push it back in.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• SteveandhisRinker280SteveandhisRinker280 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for responding   I will look by the battery switch when I get home.   I have checked all the breakers below the helm.  They are all set, and none are labeled bilge pump either.   But the wires on the back of the rocker switch/to the pump are large gage so maybe there is a breaker by the battery switch.  I hope so.    
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I do not agree with what your saying as far as 3 wires. 1 to common 1 to pump 1 float switch. I would think that 1 has power (12vdc) that feeds the switch 1 goes to the pump to "override" the float switch and the other is the negative from the battery to lite the "pumping" light.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com