Options

Windlass Question

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried to drop anchor a couple of days ago.  I had been cruising at about 1200rpm for 30 minutes or so. The breaker for the windlass would trip after every 5 feet or so of rode was dispensed. I could not check windlass cable to battery connections at the time, but I will in a couple of days. The boat is a 2014 so I don't suspect significant corrosion at any connection grounds/terminals. I even put the engines in throttle only and took the rpms to 1000 to add some amps to the batteries during the attempts, but no luck. Got about 50 feet out 5 feet at a time but chickened-out and brought it all back in - in case there was a short and I might kill the batteries. Talked with the tech at the marina the next day. He said I haven't been using the windlass much and the clutches and/or the brushes may have seized-up?  He suggested I take the rode off the windlass and run it for awhile with no load on it. I didn't take the rode off, I just ran it up and down a few times, rode and anchor and it started to go like a cat on fire. Nothing tripped. The Admiral was looking at the batteries and they didn't seem to be drawing down much. They jumped a little when I first hit the button then went right back to normal - which I suspect is correct? The windlass is a Quick Mini Genius G 250M 250w 12v  33amp working load  40 amp breaker. Questions (please): 1. Does the tech's advice make sense? 2. Does anyone know where Rrinker usually wires the windlasss to? ( I'm guessing it would be the house circuit). Any other tips/advice would be appreciated.

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If the breaker is tripping I don't think you have low current issue.  In fact it's tripping due to too much current.  The first thing I'd be looking at is a jam or some other issue with the windlass motor that is causing it to run slow.  Something is making the windlass draw more current than normal.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge, thanks. I guess the tech may have been correct and the windlass clutch cone, bearings or shafts may have been binding a bit due to lack of use. Going up to the boat tomorrow and will have a look at it again.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were in a salt water environment, I would agree with the tech. You are in a fresh water environment so there should be less of a chance of that happening. There is an issue with the windlass causing it to pull too much current. I don't buy the "lack of use" statement. What happens over the winter? Lack of use...

On my 280 the windlass is on the house circuit.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when I bought my boat, the windlass did not work at all- I found when I traced the wiring that on the up/down button, one of the posts for the wires was broken- if it were lose perhaps it would cause the same problem?