Options

How long should it last?

boataholicboataholic Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
I have a 5/6 year old 5 ECD generator with approximately 1000 hours on it.  I change the oil and filter every fall with Mobil 1.  I realize there are many variables, but in general how long should a well maintained generator last?

Answers

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a Honda that lasted 15 years and was still running fine when I sold it.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I "WISH we had Honda gens.....
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.  Just spent many dollars on my boat replacing drives, gimbal rings, couplers, etc.  I am trying to decide if I need to sell the boat while everything is working or have I replaced most of what is going to go bad for a while. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boat- I feel your pain and have often stated I am over my head when it comes to expenses on these boats-the previous boat I had was an I/O 3.0L bow rider. When I really think about it, the costs of that boat and the 270 are really not that much different- they require essentially the same maintenance and motorwise, not sure the repairs would be that much different as most of the cost is usually labor so we are dealing with a bigger piece of fiber glass and a boat is a boat- not for the weak of heart that's for sure. That's what I tell my wife anyway....kind of either your in it for the long haul or bail out of it while you can is the only advice I could give. You sure have replaced/serviced some major stuff. I purchased a low hour boat knowing the maintenance probably was not done but I figured if he did not use it much, not to much can be screwed up either...so far so good and no major expenses...yet.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Generator maintenance is important, but frequent use is also important.  Your genny has been running 150 hours a year, which means it never sat idle for long.  That's good.  I wouldn't worry about the hours.  Just use it often and keep up with maintenance.
  • Options
    I appreciate you guys chiming in.  Sounds like I should lick my wounds and hope for the best!
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Each time I cross this subject line, I muse.  lol