Options

Height of a 270 on a trailer?

I'm clearing some trees out, so I have room to store the boat at home.....I have some things I want to do in the early spring, so want it at home. Anyway, we have a ton of trees along the driveway, so have been trimming to get the needed height. That said I'm not sure what height I need? Does anyone have a rough height while sitting on a trailer? I also have the radar arch. I don't want the boat to show up here, and have it too high.
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    No radar, but does have the TV ant. and small GPS ant. up there.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I am in the process of doing the same thing(trimming trees up to fit in my yard).... I'll be watching this close!!! 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Very jealous you guys get to keep your boat at home during the winter.  I think I would camp out on it quite often!  @BellevilleMXZ do you have a trailer?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    No, no trailer so far, keeping my eyes open. I want it home this year so I can go over everything really close. Going to pull the drive and replace all the bellows and seals, check align , etc. I have no service history, so everything is going to be checked or changed,Plus a super clean and polish. Easier to do at home.
  • Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    So, if the alignment is off how do you adjust it on such a big boat. Need to lift the motor to take the weight off the mounts right? 
  • Options
    The mounts are adjustable, you pull the drive and put an alignment tool in place of the drive.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been told that you to be careful when adjusting the drive/engine alignment if it has not been done before or recently - because if the alignment has been out for some time the couplings etc. will have a specific wear pattern that, if changed, will result in more serious trouble. Al would certainly be an expert on this subject and may refine my comments. I had my drive/engine alignment checked when my boat was right from the factory. If it had been off we would have adjusted the engine mounts to correct it. BTW , I have also been told that ,technically speaking, you are supposed to rotate the engine 90 degrees and try the alignment tool a couple of times but I don't think anyone does that - except maybe Al :-) I took a picture of us doing that. If I can find it I'll post it. I plan to haul this Thursday and will check the alignment again.
  • Options

Here's the picture of a Bravo lll X drive removed with the Mercruiser alignment tool in position.

• Options
    Thanks Michael! Hopefully its not far off. I'm going over this whole thing with a fine toothed comb this fall/spring before it goes back in. Gets a bit of water in bilge when under way, so something also going on back there. All bellows and seals are going to get replaced with new OE stuff.  
  • Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    The mounts are adjustable, you pull the drive and put an alignment tool in place of the drive.
    Ok, but, you do have to take the weight off the engine before you make any adjustments. My mechanic (rinker mechanic) told me this. 
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The biggest engine I ever had to adjust was a Mercruiser 4.3LX and we did not use the lifting eye on the engine. IF and I say IF I "lifted" the engine to facilitate using the adjustment nuts I'd be real careful that I did not damage something else connected to it. It would IMO have to be barely noticible. For certain I'd check with a trusted tech or better yet PM Al.....BTW unless your engine was quite a bit out of alignment (not impossible I guess) it should not take much adjustment to re-align it. Maybe a quarter turn of the nut?