Options

Winterizing 1/4 full holding tank

With my outdrive stuck in forward, my season is done here in New England. The problem is I never got to pump out my holding tank which is about 1/4 full. Should I pour in some pink anti-freeze to keep from freezing and cracking the tank, then pump it out in the spring when the boat is fixed?

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO get the tank completely pumped-out (there should be portable pump-out services in your area for a decent price if your marina doesn't have one. Then get it winterized. You do not want a cracked tank.
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Try your shop vac. Its a nasty thing to consider but maybe you haven't flushed any deuces since your last pump out and its all liquid.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, in theary if you poor enough anti freeze into it, and ensure you flush it through the head and all lines, it shouldn't freeze. But I'm not sure I would take that chance.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I know there are some "solids" in the tank, so I would have to sacrifice my shop vac. On the other hand, it is an older shop vac, and an excuse to buy a new one.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    You can buy one of those shop vacs that fit on a 5-gal bucket for under $20.  It's what I use around the boat for various things and then I have a 5-gal bucket for other things as well.  I would definitely get it all pumped out of there one way or another.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Knowing how a shop vac works you may not ruin the unit. Yo would want to run some fresh water thru it afterwards. I almost had a similar situation with mine so I was walking through the process. I figured I could take 5 gallons at a time and dump them into the toilet to dispose of the material properly. Gloves, mask and glasses...
  • Options
    I have emptied a port a potti on another boat that I forgot to add blue treatment to so I am familiar with the aroma. I used a disposable mask sprayed with air freshener. I like the 5 gal pail shop vac idea, thanks for the ideas.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you thinking of disconnecting the pump out hose from the tank, and dropping the shopvac hose directly into the tank? You may need to do that, as (a) you probably couldn't establish a good seal from the waste nozzle on the side of the boat, and (b) the shopvac probably can't pull enough vacuum to suck the contents all that way.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Didn't think of that, maybe I'll just add anti-freeze and pump it out in the spring.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I have added anti-freeze and pumped in the spring many times and never had a problem.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    This post is mainly for Handy as he is new to Florida and needs to be on top of the winterization of his boat once it makes it to Florida. Please follow these instructions carefully and I have provided pictures to make sure you get it right. Now do not confuse step one with step two or you will de winterize your boat instead of winerize!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pull that out of your boat RAS and reseal with 5200. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Ras, you need to clean that nasty stain.  Looks like you've had a crap running out of your plug when you pull it.  (have to "raz" you about something)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    the final step:
  • Options
    lol dream, it's fun busting on every one up north and hopefully you all get a chuckle out of it....meant to lighten the mood of pulling your boats.