Options

How to repair damage to the Gel-Coat on the bottom of the hull.

masonmason Member Posts: 2
My 92 Captiva has a small amount of Gel Coat that needs to be repaired. It is on the bottom of the hull most likely it has been worn away from loading and unloading it on the trailer( rubbing the rollers as it starts up the bunks). The Gel-coat has rubbed off along the middle of the hull where it first contacts the rollers as it slides onto the bunks it is not visible unless you get under the boat, as it is past the bow and almost half way down the center of the hull.  There is no glass damage just a 1/2 wide stripe of smooth worn through gel coat 3-4 foot long. Otherwise the boat is in uncommonly good condition having only 187 real hours of use. I am handy and have repaired some gel coat nicks but nothing this size and nothing that would have to be done while trailered and working from underneath it. Any tips tricks and where to get products would be greatly appreciated. Someone told me there was a pre-made attachable guard that you can use to cover the area and give it additional protection, but I have not seen any products like it.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    masonmason Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback, I going to look into the guard as I have seen it on other boats. also the marine tex. If I don't think I can do a good job there is always the option of using a professional, my problem there is no fiberglass pros in this area. However I am sure I can locate someone within 60 miles. With colder temps on the way and no heated storage this is going to be addressed in spring. But now I have some directions to look into. J Mason
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People gelcoat even in the 40s. They out a tarp around the boat with a little burner to warm the area. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"