Sad day for us

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait till spring!!!!
2008 330EC

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,456 admin
    Sad sight.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

I'm not too sad....the baby's washed, waxed and winterized. Soon it will be in a covered storage and the next thing I know it'll be spring :-) Weather was really great, first day was cloudy and a bit damp as it rained hard the day before but today was fantastic. Washed the hull and towel dried it, let it air dry then the Admiral and I waxed and buffed it - all by hand!

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great MT! I'm trying to decide if I should wax it now before I cover it or do it in the spring. 
    2008 330EC
    edited October 2015

@aero3113. Not sure what is best for the gel coat. I have done both. Our boat will still get dust on it in the covered shelter but I will rinse it off with soft water in the spring. I don't clean it with soap as that would take the wax off. I was told that the marina was going to try to take boats directly from the covered shelters to the water next spring, instead of putting them on stands first, as a money saving idea, so we HAD to wash and wax it - no choice! At least it's done.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    A boat stored next to a pile of firewood on a sunny day. Sure sign winter is on its way. Hey Aero, I'm sure you will be thinking of new adventures with the boat next Summer every time you go out for a few sticks from the woodpile. MT that is one beautiful boat you have. PS  Go Jay's!!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hauled out Wednesday  bottom sandblasted on Friday  New paint over the winter: VC-17.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    BD, looks like the bottom coat line should be a little higher on the hull or is that just my imagination? VC-17, have heard GREAT things about that product, the tech say it is one of the nicest coatings to work with as it goes on very well and dries super fast. It is legendary for strength and antifouling. I have Interlux BottomKote NT on mine and am very happy with it so far. Question - how long do you get between re-coats of bottom coating in your area?
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I'm jealous of that fine looking woodpile and look forward to some chilly weather, sick of the heat. It was 97 degrees at the beach in So. Cal. yesterday.
    edited October 2015
    That's real rough Andy. Feeling too hot? Come up here in January when it's -30, that'll cool you down LOL.....that is an awesome woodpile though. We used to burn about 5 cords per winter.
    edited October 2015
    andyd said:
    I'm jealous of that fine looking woodpile and look forward to some chilly weather, sick of the heat. It was 97 degrees at the beach in So. Cal. yesterday.
    I have a lot to burn! When we moved into our house in April we had a bunch of trees taken down. 

Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
    They followed the pin striping for the original bottom paint. I think that pin stripe should really end up with the bottom of the stripe flush with the corner of the swimplatform at the transom. It would move up the paint line the 3" it needs. 

I might just search for some black striping to re-do it. Current stripe is blue...odd since the canvas was black to start with. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    With the old Micron CSC, I would recoat the smile/water line yearly. Otherwise an easy 4-5 years between full recoat. 

The VC-17 is an annual redo, but everyone says it is really easy to do. Sanding the CSC is a complete, nasty mess.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    aero3113 - a log splitter is the sign of a smart guy. Great woodpile.

BD when We ordered the 360 we had the whole hull black so I would avoid the pin stripes/boot stripe as we knew we were going to bottom coat and from looking at 350s in the marina I knew I had to go higher than the stripe and it would look crappy. I told the tech doing it to go 3" higher than on the 350s. He went 5" higher and with a full load the water is right at the top of the bottom coat. It's okay but I wish I had gone an inch higher.

Speaking of bottom coatings. A kid who works at my marina washed the hull two days ago. I was happy with his work. Unfortunately, someone told him to go back and put some extra muscle onto the area where some '"****" forms just above the bottom coat on the hull sides. I  suspect there was some sand in his brush and I know the bristles in the brush should never have been used on gel coat - even if they were clean. I now have scratches running the length of my black gel coat about 5 inches up from the waterline. I know the battle for responsibility is about to begin. If a marina is going to use kids to do work they should be trained and monitored. I'd post the pictures but I don't want to make everyone cringe!

Ouch on the scratches.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I wonder if removing the boot stripe all together it would look odd?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Personally, I think it would look better. It will be interesting to see what the other guys think. We did a LOT of looking at all other brands of boats to see what they did when they had bottom coating before we ordered our 360. Based on that we decided to make the whole hull (Obelow the rub rail) one color - then add the bottom coat at the appropriate angle. When our boat is in the water, or even on plane many people don't realize there's a bottom coat.  A lot of manufacturers now offer factory bottom coating. Some of the results are bizarre (IMO). For example there was a new 2013 Cruisers 350 for sale at our marina, a nice boat for sure. It had factory undercoating BUT it also had coloured sides with a white lower hull. With the factory bottom coating you had three colors going in different directions. Black, white and black bottom coat.  A number of other manufacturers have colors and stripes that are not parallel to the bottom coat lines and just look weird. You have seen pictures of my boat, imagine it with a boot stripe (Rinker's word for it) or a pin stripe that was at a different angle to my under coating AND the hull side colors! It looks crappy, to me. I'd remove the pinstripe and raise the undercoating at your stern. My 2 cents :-)
    Hey Halifax212 - Thanks. Go Jays right back at you :-)
  • checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    @ aero.    Your boat is way to close to the trees for my liking.  I made the mistake awhile back ago.   The tree just destroy boat.  Leaves, bugs, SAP, and it only sat their for 3 weeks b/4 it got shrink wrapped.  Then in the spring same thing.   I now keep it as far away from any trees as possible.
    checkmate said:
    @ aero.    Your boat is way to close to the trees for my liking.  I made the mistake awhile back ago.   The tree just destroy boat.  Leaves, bugs, SAP, and it only sat their for 3 weeks b/4 it got shrink wrapped.  Then in the spring same thing.   I now keep it as far away from any trees as possible.
    It's not that bad, I used to keep my boat at my parents house next to a tree. As long as I get it covered this week it will stay clean once it's covered. Here are some pics from when I kept it at my parents house.

2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how the heck did you get it off the trailer? And why?
    @Ras, my guess is that trailer is a marina shop transport trailer. You don't get to keep that! To take it off the trailer you use the trailer to lift it up using the trailer's hydraulic lifts then block it at the stern and bow and add side stands.  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to take boats off the trailer without a hydraulic trailer all the time. You lower the jack all the way, lifting the back of the boat. Put stands under the back corners, then jack up the keel towards the front. Raise the trailer tongue and slowly pull the trailer out to the jack. Block it, then move the jack to the other side of the cross member, then continue. Slow process, but it works.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    If I stored on dry land I'd be looking for cinder blocks certified to withstand 6.9 on the Richter scale

Andy
    6X6 or 8X8 wooden blocks several feet long, stacked appropriately are much better than cinder blocks.
    my luck it would end up on the ground....
    should I show you all my pictures for winterizing my 270?
    Oh yeah - post away Ras!
    OK, here is step one: it's just a visual:
    and then step two is the worst!