Options

Water under Windows in v birth of 342

I have been noticing water between the vinyl and wall under both my windows in the v birth ,any one else have this trouble ? not really sure if it's coming in from window or rub rail . Should I remove Windows and clean up old calk and recalk or just calk as is or could it be coming in from the base of the rails ?
2002 Rinker FV 342

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be either, but I would bet the rub rail. The windows in the v berth are pretty well shielded, where the water has to go over the rub rail. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a hose to spray one area at a time and test to see which one leaks water. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rub rail or remove the plastic trim piece that runs around the windshield and see if any screws have worked loose, caulking around the screws has deteriorated or the drain holes are plugged. Any of this can direct water into the cabin. As well, I have found that water (being water) can run along for some distance then run down to create a leak away from the original source. I found a leak by using one of those small led cameras on a long goose neck that are used for checking behind walls in construction. maybe a friend has one, they aren't expensive but you can really see behind the bulkheads. best of luck. Please post your findings for all of us!
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    It's strange that it happens to be under both windows port and starboard I'm gonna have to start by putting water around Windows than the rub rail, than the bow rail base.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Went down to boat today to find leak started by keeping hose on window frame for 5-10 min nothing than on rub rail 5 min nothing,than I wet around base of bow rail for 5 min, I than started to notice water on the paper towels I had put under window between the wall and vinyl. Now should I just try to calk around base or try to remove screws, only problem with this is getting at the nuts under the vinyl.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sealed my bow rail screws yesterday, I didn't realize that there were nuts below. I had all but 2 nuts stay in the sealant and was able to tighten them back up. The two that I wasn't able to tighten I was able to get them back on the nut but only a little bit. On those 2 I used extra sealant to help keep them in place. Luckily there are three screws at each base and they were on different bases. I looked and didn't see an easy way to access the nuts below.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I had to cut into the vinyl to get to the nuts for the bow rail on my 342.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to cut into the vinyl to get to the nuts for the bow rail on my 342.
    What did you do to make the vinyl looked finished once you were done?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    That is a work in progress. lol. I have an automotive vinyl guy coming to look at it. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI