Options

Made In The U.S.A.

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's about time. While doing winterizing this year I noticed more and more parts were stamped made in the U.S.A. not assembled in the U.S.A. but - made in the U.S.A. You can see the difference in the product. My Mercury cool fuel filters, the oil filter for my generator, the wear guides for my drives. - all made in the U.S.A. It's about time, I am so tired of installing cheap garbage from abroad the doesn't fit properly and wears-out pre-maturely. P.S. just looked for the bag for my sea water pump impellers - made in the U.S.A. too!

Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I hear ya, I HATE the offshore crap, and that's what it is.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually hear recently that USA manufacturing is picking up nicely and just as cost competative as China now.  Perhaps one of the reasons why China's economy is slowing down. I'm all for even paying a little more for quality - just want the option to do that. I'm tired of stuff breaking and throwing SOOOOOO much away. The amount of garbage we are generating due to poor quality stuff is unacceptable. Remember when you bought something and it lasted 10 years (and if it didn't it was garbage).  We have so gotten used to expecting to need to replace stuff in 1 to 2 years.  It IS NOT cheaper than buying something of quality that lasts forever. It in fact works out more expensive most times, especially when you consider your time, gas, and costs of disposal.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a rising tide floats all ships- kind of the economic crap we used to hear about Japan- they were cheap labor, their economy came up to the point of their workers making the same as us in the US and wala-we became competitive with them and I think we are seeing the same in China. As the cheap labor markets boom, they have to pay them more and capitalism works!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Recently I toured the U.S.S. Iowa battleship in San Pedro, CA. Driving on W. Ocean Blvd to the Vincent Thomas Bridge you get a great panoramic view of the Port of Long Beach and can see a completely mind boggling array of shipping containers stacked way high covering hundreds of acres. It really brings home the amount of stuff we are importing from Asia, China especially. Thousands of containers are marked "Cosco," that's not your local Costco, it's the China Overseas Shipping Co.

Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More crap to fail. Nice!