Options

How do YOU clean your engine compartment??

amajamaramajamar Member Posts: 57 ✭✭

As I'm one to make something my own by doing a thorough cleaning, I am wondering how you guys recommend cleaning an engine compartment as tight as the one on the 04 FV 250?  I can't even reach the bottom of the bilge, and I'm looking to get things looking ship shape. 

All suggestions welcome!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    well, I'd say either pour or spray (or both) some degreaser throughout the bilge.  Go for a ride, then rinse.  I'm very particular with the bilge & I'll use a degreaser with a scrub brush.  Then I actually wax it, which helps repel any oils. $-)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    A Gallon of Cheap Windshield cleaner does a pretty good job just let it slosh around then bilge it out if real dirty use a bilge cleaner first.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    amajamaramajamar Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    When you say "rinse", are you saying hose down (light shower like)?  What about the engine? 
  • Options
    My endgine has never been dirty and it's a 99

• Options
    Just found this it says use Tide and another says use Dawn Dish Soap for the Bilge I will also put this link in RBO Archives
    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/0101bilge.htm

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I use lemon sent Ajax. Pour the whole bottle in and let it set. Next time you go for a ride dump a bunch of ice in. The ice will get in places you cant and it smells nice. Hey dream next time you feel like waxing a bilge you can do mine..... :))
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭

The ice trick sounds like a great idea, I'll have to try that. Thanks

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Just wondering.....How do you turn off the bilge pump so it does not pump everything out before you are done sloshing everything around?

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
    Until the ice melts there shouldn't be enough water to trigger the switch

• Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I clean my bilge when its out of the water in the spring or fall.   I spray a cleaner then take a brush to it, then hose it out with the hose letting the water go out the plug hole.   they also make a bilge cleaners
  • Options
    MarcdohcMarcdohc Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I use **** and Span, It works miracles.
  • Options
    Marcdohc said:
    I use **** and Span, It works miracles.
    S-P-I-C must be on the bad word list
    :))

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    And here I thought someone was just making a statement about product placements...hah!
  • Options

Stinkin' **** and Span!  May clean well, but is still dirty!

• Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I usually hire my much thinner Son.  Just kidding, he is already on the payroll.  lol  Anyway, Dawn works wonders and is much cheaper than bilge cleaner.  Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    pianomanjspianomanjs Member Posts: 1
    On my 246, I take it to the car wash, leave the plug out, using the jack raise it as high as you can get it, and wash down everything that isn't electrical or sound proof material with soap on high pressure.  Then I wash the engine on low pressure staying away from all electrical connectors.  Then rinse.  The stubborn mildew pieces will eventually drain if you just flush the bottom with water.  Afterwards, its so clean down there can get down in the engine bay without getting dirty at all.  Looks new!
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Cleaning the engine. Use a couple of rags. One for cleaning and the other of wiping up.VP has a lubricant spray (blue can)(kinda like WD-40) it's used for lots of things like lubing shift cables. Start with the a rocker covers and work down. Wipe up as much as possible after cleannig. It should leave a nice gloss look when done. The lubricate penitrates the metal which helps keeps it from rust/corrosion. Take the fire arrestor off and scrub in a bucket of warm soapy water. (white glove test). Let dry before putting it back on. Spray the rags with a bit of lube and wipe down the wires and hoses. Pull the battery boxes and clean under them use the orange degreaser and spray the bilge down with a little water. Brush it where you can. Let it sit for a few days and even run the boat around. Then pull the plug and hose it out. If in the water use a small dry vac as the pump can't get the last 1/2 gallon out. Get a dry towel and wrap it around a stick to get to the area's you can not reach. Rub/spray out the heavyer stains. Put oil pads under the engines.
  • Options
    Good post LG!  That sums the entire process up well.  (when you say VP, do you mean volvo penta? - I would also think something like engine Gunk would work ok as well)

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Yes volvo penta. Dont use gunk. It strips the oils aways and leaves your engine open to moisture. Good on old car engines however.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear recommendations to do the cleaning on land. It would be a real bad day fine wise to have the auto bilge fire up and spread a nice sheen in front of a bunch of Kayakers from the Sierre Club or a bunch of local LEOS - what's the starting fine in the US for "sheen on the water"- 5K - ouch!!!!!
  • Options
    john744john744 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

I've found that Pine-Sol is one of the best degreasers/cleaners I've ever used.  The Ice suggestion is fantastic, can see how that would work!

Happy & Safe Boating!

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    themaniam1themaniam1 Member Posts: 4
    I use a bag of ice and Simply Green.  Put both into the bulge before I tow it or before I put it on the trailer.  Then I let the ice slosh around and then drain.  Simply Green is bio-friendly so I am not so concerned if I spill a little.

By the way, ice is a great way to scrub your black water tank in your boat or RV.  Put it in before your go for a ride or before you tow the RV.  All that ice moving breaks everything loose.