Options

Bubblers for the Winter

JPCRUZEJPCRUZE Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
I am leaving my boat in the slip this year over the winter. Last year was a fairly cold one so I am putting a bubbler in this year. If you all have any recommendations of places to get one online with great prices it would be appreciated. 

Thanks
Jeanpaul

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Most important question: Will your system have a back-up power source in case the primary source fails for any reason? You can purchase bubblers or de-icers as theyv are often referred to from most marine suppliers like West Marine and Defender Marine. Decent one run around $600.00 There are accessories available,that are IMO necessary such as a thermostat controller, around $150 and some of the newer ones can send your smart phone a message if the unit fails. The internet should be full of information for you to research as to the specific need for your area. The number of degree days at or below freezing is crucial as is the information as to the depth and current of the water your boat will be in. Is it in an open area that wind can whip across the water chilling it further. This information will determine the HPO of the model you select probably from 1/2 to 1 HP and whether it is surface mounted or more likely mounted underwater to a dock leg by an attachment or pole. usually the more HP the bigger a circle will bubble and the more cold it can handle. To repeat, if you can actually get significant surface freezing of water I'd have a second power back-up. I'd also call my insurance company to see if they had any requirements or disclaimers.
    Post edited by Michael T on