Options

2007 280 EC - How to lower engine hatch with batteries out?

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Hey guys...trying to winterize the boat. Everything is done except when I went to go pull the batteries, I couldnt figure out how to lower the hatch. I know the jumper posts in the access panel raise the hatch in case of a dead battery. Anyone? Any help would be appreciated!
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ive been told is to reverse the polarity, put negative on positve, and it should close the Hatch. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    I disconnect the latch with it's pin, take an empty antifreeze container and put it between the floor and the engine hatch, lower it, it stays a crack open during the winter so the engine can breathe. Come spring , lift the cover, reconnect the pin. Voila!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @pepmyster, I'm indoors so my engine air intakes are open, no moisture = no rust. Some guys put a pail of damprid in the bilge. Your idea is a new one! :-)
  • Options
    I lower it by hand after it is disconnected (un-hooked) from the engine cover. The jug is in place and then lowered on top of it. Now, you have a great air flow through the engine compartment. In the spring, lift the engine cover, reconnect the pin , there you go!

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    pepmyster said:
    I disconnect the latch with it's pin, take an empty antifreeze container and put it between the floor and the engine hatch, lower it, it stays a crack open during the winter so the engine can breathe. Come spring , lift the cover, reconnect the pin. Voila!

You probably don't even need to disconnect the pin.  Carefully lower the engine hatch onto the antifreeze container and then lower a little more so that the weight is on the container (taking the stress off of the hatch motor). 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Pail of damprid is a good idea along with keeping hatch open.  I wish I knew about the pin disconnecting last winter, would have saved me a boat load of cold frustration last winter when boat was spanking new to me.  

Not to veer too much off topic but in the name of winterizing and hatches open, do you guys leave windows open as well?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I left my portals cracked open with the latch.
  • Options
    I remove the pin on top, let the actuator lean where it wants, then lower. If you don't remove the pin on top, the engine hatch is not free......

• Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    All you need to do is plug in your boat with a 15 amp cord conversion cord and turn on your breaker for charger and you can close and raise your hatch.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....or a booster battery.
  • Options
    All can be done as you wish to do..................................