Annapolis Power Boat Show - Trip Report

MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
The boat show was completely off of my radar.  If not for a friend going to the sailboat show the weekend before last I would have missed it.  By the time I learned of the dates my family already had plans for both Saturday and Sunday.  A last minute cancellation freed up Saturday and the boat show was suddenly in our future.  I have been to two boat shows in my life: the first was the New York City boat show in the late 70's as a kid, and the second was the Philadelphia boat Show in 2001. I had heard about the Annapolis boat show many times over the years and was excited to finally go.

Two hours in the car and my wife, two kids and I arrived in Annapolis at 1 pm.  To avoid the traffic of downtown Annapolis we came in through Eastport and parked at the Eastport elementary school.  The parking fee was $20 and apparently its tax deductible.  There was parking at the Naval Academy with shuttle busses to take you to/from the show.  However, the buses stopped running one hour after the show and I suspected that we would be later than that in Annapolis eating and shopping before leaving for home. 

It was a 5 minute walk from the Elementary school over the bridge crossing Spa Creek on 6th/Compromise Sts.  Our first stop was Brokerage Cove located on Spa Creek.  Our primary objective for the show was to get a better idea of what we would like in our next boat.  A little over 1 season on our 270 FV and we are ready for something bigger.  A 342 is the front runner on my list.  The listing of brokerage boats on show web site included a 342 and I was excited to finally see one.  Unfortunately, the boat didn't make it to the show.   We spent about 2 hours in Brokerage Cove going through most of the boats there.  My kids were having a blast.  They thought brokerage cove was the show and didn't realize that there was a massive section of new boats. 

There were a few cruisers from Sea Ray and Cruisers that were nice but nothing was a great fit for our developing wish list.   One observation is that people trying to sell their boat really need to do something to make it not smell bad.  There were a few boats where we turned around as soon as our nose hit the cabin.  None of the sales people were pushy or aggressive but were quick to answer questions as needed.  That was actually a general observation for the entire show.  It was a welcoming low pressure atmosphere.... as boating should be.

On the way out of Brokerage Cove we grabbed a quick snack and headed for the show docks.  Our first stop was the Formulas.  Formula has been one of my favorite brands for many years: really well made with an emphasis on performance.  We went through the 34, 37, and 40 PCs and 45 Yacht.  All were exceptional boats.   Next we visited the Regal section and went through the 35, 46, and 53 Sport Coupes.  We really liked the Regals, probably best of all.  Then we went through the Sea Rays and I was totally underwhelmed.  The cabins were dark, with low ceilings.  The step over the door frame into the head on the 370 Sundancer was over 6 inches and a real tripping hazard.  The 370 Sundancer also had a metal track for the aft cabin privacy curtain in a terrible spot for people hitting their heads when leaving the aft seating area.  I think Sea Ray is leveraging their brand name to get away with offering less for the money than their competitors. 

Next was a barrage of boats trying to get through as many as the kids wanted to see which was just about all of them.  Yeah, I have awesome kids!  One standout was the Princess V39.  Wow, what a nice boat and at 3/4 of a $million it should be! 

Here are some observations on general trends in the sport cruisers.

Motorized forward berths that tilt and retract to offer more space when not in use are quite popular.  One of the latest styles in the 33-37 ft cruisers is an L shaped couch in the cabin.  During the day, the base of the "L" serves as seating, and at night it converts into the lower portion of the forward berth. 

TVs are getting bigger and more plentiful.  Most of the 30-40 ft cruisers offer 3 TVs. 

The décor and furnishings have transitioned from the rounded styles of the 90s and early 2000s to square styles.  The color schemes are earth tones.

There is a lot of commonality in what you get in a particular size of boat such as above 35 feet you get a door to the master stateroom, above 37 feet you get a shower separate from the commode, above 40 feet you get a second head and/or a door to the 2nd stateroom.  

We finished going through boats at 6:15 leaving just 15 minutes to see the vendor tents.  This meant that we really didn't get to see the vendor tents.  Next time we really need to budget more time at the show or spend less time going through boats, or both.  After the show we walked up Main Street and stopped at Mason's for lobster rolls and Annapolis Ice Cream Company for desert.  The trip home was uneventful and the kids (big and small) were wiped out from a fun filled day!

MDboater

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Sounds like a great day!  We went to the show as well, and there are two paragraphs you wrote that sound word for word that I would've wrote.  First, Formulas, Regals and SeaRays.  EXACTLY what my wife and I thought!!  yes, we left the kids home on their day off...I know, terrible and not our original plans, but they know us well.  I say that because we got there at 10am, opening time, with belly full, went non-stop until 4:30pm.  Hard to believe but we finished it all.  Went thru the larger boats first (cause they get lines later) and then thru the rest.  Then thru the tents.  Didn't go to the brokerage area cause we headed down to our boat.

I definitely feel the same about things being square and earthtone.  Not really my cup of tea, but was ok.

The 342, let me know when you want to see it.  My close buddy has his for sale and that is the one that didn't make it over there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MDboater -Thanks for such a great description of the boat show and the boats, I felt as if we were there. If looking at a 342 may I suggest that you also look at some early 350s. Rinker has separate showers in their 342, 350 and 360. You can get a closed in front cabin in the 350 and 360 but when we bought a new 2014 Rinker 360 the Admiral did not want a door on the front bedroom (berth) as she felt it would make both the front bedroom and the cabin too small. I wasn't  as sure but I am now. The privacy curtain works great. Good luck on your hunt. BTW the smallest engines I would get for the 342 would be the 6.2s. If I were looking at a 350 or 360 I might accept 6.2s but would prefer 8.1s or 8.2s - just my opinion.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    If you can make the Miami boat show in Feb. I would book tickets now. That is the best boat show by far on the east coast. Oh, if you want to save money, get diesels.  :)
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for posting your observations!

Another trendy concept is express cruisers with outboard motors ... was anybody pushing those?  Power & Motoryacht recently published an article saying that outboards are the way of the future because they occupy the "unused" space behind the boat.  To me, that's hilarious.  On our Rinker, the swim platform is high-value real estate!  I wouldn't trade the swim platform for anything.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
    edited October 2015
    @LaRea The Sea Ray 37 venture is supposed to have twin outboards and I think Regal has a new cruiser with twin 300HPs
    Post edited by Michael T on
    The twin outboards do not handle as well either according to AL
    I'm sure there are people for whom outboards offer benefits.  For the way I use my boat, they just wouldn't work.  The PMY article implies that sterndrives are going the way of the dinosaur.  Not likely! 
    Best thing about outboards is the ease of winterization and a Joystick control
    I didn't see any cruiser style boats with outboards on them.  It's hard to say which way the future is going with all this.  I/Os, outboards, inboards, pod drives...But, after replacing two stern drives the last two years, I've discovered I/Os are not cheap to maintain.

Just had a 50+ foot Regal hit a shoal in our area with one of its pod drives. The marina manager tasked with repairing it told the Admiral and I the starting costs were 60K for the initial mechanicals alone (Pod and linkages), did not include hull work and would climb a fair bit. IMO - V drives are far too inefficient, stern drives are efficient but expensive to maintain, pod drives scare the crap out of me regarding their underwater exposure and insane repair costs. Outboards - now that they can use joystick control - may be an alternative? Could you imagine a couple of Seven Marines on a 360??? Man would that move!
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn:

Thank you for the offer to connect me with your friend who is selling the 342.  At this point I will probably table it until the spring.  Between boat winterizing, house projects, and family commitments most of my time is booked through the holidays.  I'll keep you in mind when I resume my active search.

Regards,
    MDboater 
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I didn't see any cruisers with outboard motors and I was specifically looking for cruisers.  It seems to completely buck the trend of larger swim platforms.  I couldn't imagine giving up the swim platform on a cruiser.  If anything cruiser manufacturers are offering sterndrive options on larger boats (up to about 40 ft).  In the 40-50 foot range pod drives seem to be gaining popularity. 
  • summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    look up the sea ray venture 370.  it is one that has outboards. still has a swim platform and really makes it an interesting proposal, especially for saltwater boaters, as you can get them up and out of the water at the dock.
    Yes summerx is correct - several of the cruisers that have outboards have swim platforms too as well as some tremendous extra space in the hull where the engines would be. I don't know if I like the concept but it is interesting. Also I agree with Steve that there there would be a lot less winterizing required with outboards than stern drives for those of us in the snow belt.
    Okay, the Admiral and I looked at a few videos of the Sea Ray Venture 370 with twin 300Hp Mercs. Beautiful, yes. Innovative, yes. EXPENSIVE, YES!!!!! Holy Cow! We saw a few listings that varied from $415K UP. That's without side walk arounds, generator, Axius, radar, satellite T.V., Ice-maker, big screen t.v., shower separate from toilet, pull-out mid berth, walk around front berth and on!. I get it, it's a different boat BUT the price difference between it and our Rinker EC 360 with all of the options I mentioned and an up-grade to 8.2 mags is staggering.  I'm so glad for boaters that Rinker has stayed viable - you simply can not touch Rinkers for a solid build and amazing options!
    Once again MT you could wait 2 years to buy one and save 40%. 
    It's true that outboards give designers new options for layout.  But it's not like you're getting something for nothing.  Engines take up space, no matter where you put them.  In the case of outboards, you sacrifice swim platform real estate to get a slightly bigger mid-cabin.  

One interesting side benefit is that the outboards are apparently super-quiet, according to boattest.com's review.  

And, yes -- they priced it like a Sea Ray!  
    @LaRea - those SRs are way out of my price range - more than double the cost of a comparably priced Rinker. No wonder the SR guys at the marinas we visit (dozens each summer) can't believe what's in our Rinker for the price. It used to seem (to me) that the SR guys didn't care and even wore their price point as a badge of honor - but it seems like that's all changed in the last few years.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they were making covers for the outboards, so you had a raised platform to sit on or use?  Kind of like an engine compartment floor.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

The outboards are under seats that face aft at the swim platform.

• summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I agree, that the SR price is out of sight.  However, it is a concept which other manufacturers may soon start to replicate and make it available at a more palatable price point.  Personally, I am a stern drive fan, and not sure I would move towards the outboards, but I can certainly see why some folks would want them.  They cost less to repower, easier winterization, get into shallower water, etc. 
    the one point that would draw me to them is the larger after cabin.  if the topside is relatively unaffected, and the cabin space grows, I could absolutely consider it as an option.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

edited October 2015

No Question it's cool and easier to service and a different type of boat than Rinker's Ec 360 BUT the 360 has WAY more interior room, height and width and 3 sleeping areas as well as  huge list of extra equipment.....however most important to me is that at about TWICE the price we could maintain and service the Rinker forever for free. BTW the Rinker EC 360 is faster holds more gas, water and waste and will travel farther for less gas. BTW I have been told that the gas needed to get a big cruiser onto plane by big outboards is close to twice that required by inboards. But, I don't doubt that there are a lot of people with that kind of money ($415K+)for what is essentially IMO a day cruiser.

This boat doesn't have it but I have seen several new boats recently that have engine hatches/back bench seats that open from the stern. The tech working on one at our marina said they all love it. He said he could also pull a couple of pins and lift the entire hatch/ bench seat off to remove an engine if necessary making it really easy. I think Formula has this on some of their cruisers?

Man if only they mad diesel outboards
    edited October 2015
    Steve, are you slipping? I'm pretty sure they make several brands of diesel outboards. There was one, once called OX brand or OXE Brand or something like that along with several other products - maybe European. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they do exist!....Googled it - looks like even Mercury is also building an Optimax diesel outboard. You need to get out more Steve! I shouldn't be "scooping" you on diesel stuff. LOL
    Where do they stow the genny, water heater and batteries?  (The generator is an option.)  There's no room for anything in the engine housings.  I wonder what you have to give up to fit a generator on the boat.

MT, I'm with you ... if you put the SR 370 side-by-side with your Rinker 360, I bet you'd find that the 360 actually has *more* cabin space, not less.  
    edited October 2015
    @La Rea, there is NO question about that. The 370  is 7" narrower, Way less interior height everywhere in the boat. I can not stand straight anywhere in the 370 but in my 360 I have from 6'6" in front of the front berth up to 7' by the rear berth. There is NO 36'/37' foot cruiser that has the room of the Rinkers. IMO the 370 is a rich man's day cruiser. IMO lots of style with little substance. Is that a metaphor for today?
    So, what did I tell you Steve - you ARE slipping! LOL - You DO need to get out more! Ha Ha
    You need to get to Florida more MT. :)