Options

What product to use to clean cushions?

Hi,

Our 2010 Captiva XL cushions have some light black spots in it. Wondering what is the best product to use to not only clean it but to get the spots out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Aerospace has both a cleaner and a protectant.  I have both, but really love the protectant.  The cleaner is ok.  I know many others will chime on this, but I will use magic eraser when nothing else works.  Not something you want to use all the time, but for those stains that nothing else will help, it always works.  If the spots are light, probably most vinyl cleaners will work fine.  Just remember to follow up with a protectant cause they really do help.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    If it's just spider droppings or mildew, the vinyl cleaner from 303 Aerospace will usually take it off.  Like Dream_Inn said, use a Magic Eraser as a last resort because it's an abrasive.  

Whatever you use, apply it to the entire seat so you don't replace the dark spots with light spots!  
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I use Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and mild brush. Wipe off with wet cloth and use 303 as soon as dry. Works good on my white seats. My 2004 232 seats look like new.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small black spots are usually either tiny mould spores or more likely spider poop. There are excellent cleaners available for both. Follow the directions carefully so you don't scrub a super white spot on your cushions as that often stands out even more. Be careful if using a magic eraser. I have been told that they used to contain formaldehyde as the active ingredient which would yellow seats after a while. I have been told they now use something new but I still don't trust them..
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic erasers also have a fine grain sanding effect and will eventually scour the seats dull.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MarkB - very interesting info!
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem on my last boat where the vinyl seat cushions came in contact with the cockpit cover.  I thought it was mold spots.  Anyway, I used Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover with a brush followed by Starbrite Vinyl Cleaner & Polish after drying.  I applied the Cleaner & Polish with an automobile orbital buffer - foam pad covered with a terry cloth bonnet.  It took some persistence with the both cleaners but I finally removed the spots. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    Same here, on top of the transom seat.  Ten years of having black Sunbrella laying directly on white vinyl will definitely leave a stain!  I never did get it off, despite trying every cleaner and Magic Eraser.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to look when I get home....I bought some stuff at Wally World Attwood and it worked better than anything I have tried- I have not used the magic eraser as I don't want to damage the seat-would rather it last longer than try to make it look "new" but this stuff took just about everything off that transom seat and the rest of it looks fantastic and it's like 6 bucks for a spray bottle...