Options

Fitting a outboard motor to a 91 rinker festiva 230

shandushandu Member Posts: 6
edited November 2015 in Engine Discussions
Hi guys i am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 91 festiva 230. This is my first boat. The hull is good but the floor needs redoing and the engine is no good.
I want to repower with an outboard motor. 

What  are the things I'll need to do to make this project possible..any suggestions, opinions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the idea is so cool. I do not have any first hand experience with this but I have seen a number of videos over the years where boat owners have installed brackets onto former inboards and attached outboards. I assume your plan is to have it able to go "on plane" at about 32 or so mph, or higher? Doing this might make the boat easier to plane by shifting its center of gravity. I hope you find a way as the pictures of the transformation would be amazing.
  • Options
    Of course I'll post pictures as I go along..

Am thinking of using a 200hp or 225 hp mercury and install seats with compartment for the battery and what ever may be needed for the engine e.g the remote oil bottle, where the engine cover was.

I only know what shape the gas tank is but after I I'll up the floor I'll see how it is.

• Options
    That word *only* in my previous post should be* don't..*

That said.. I did some measurements today and think a 25" shaft outboard motor is the most ideal length for the transom height...

Any one got ideas of where to get a transom bracket?