Options

350 MAG MPI distributor

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
While swapping out a distributor cap Saturday (2nd time I have done it, 1st time was the marina) I found the cap loose again.  Well turns out the threaded part on the distributor is plastic.  And it broke.  Just a be careful note for those changing the cap.  I have to replace the whole distributor, lucky I am able to get one from Alswagg for a great price.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BD Great tip and three cheers for Al!
  • Options
    Just an update on this, swapped in the new distributor today. Attached a pic of the broke end of the base where the cap screws into. The other tab was cracked too. Does not take much to break it. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WOW, that is disheartening to see. I would expect better engineering than that - maybe someone thought that design would thwart corrosion?  Looks too easy to break!
  • Options
    Very easy to break, so I found out!  I use TLC and only a handle type torx wrench now, too easy to over torque even with a 1/4" drive ratchet. The thread locker on the screws make it hard to tell when they are bottomed out. One of those led headlamps lets me see it now. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    BD, I've seen two dock mates in my marina (both happened to be on 342s) have this same issue over the last couple seasons.  Definitely a flaw in the design.  But, once you know about it, you won't do it again.  Now, you'll be good to go in the spring!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited December 2015
    @BD, thank you - once more the value of this forum is demonstrated - shared advice saves others $$$$$ There are a number of 342s in my cruising area I'll alert them all to be careful with this and too pass it on to the techs. This advice can prevent routine maintenance from becoming a bigger cost!
  • Options
    That distributor as a Mercury OEM part is $900, aftermarket is $600. Just in case anyone needs incentive to be careful!  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Wow ! 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    OMG! That's serious money! Nice catch. Incentive registered BD!!!!!
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I got here from BD's link in NavyCTRC's thread...  I felt it relevant to add something I just found yesterday.  
    I read a report from a vendor regarding nylon embrittlement, and I'd be willing to bet that dizzy is a nylon part.  As many of us have found, nylon and plastics get brittle over time.  As we could guess, this is a result of giving up their moisture- literally.  Fortunately, these effects can be undone as the part can be "rehydrated".  The recommendation was to place it in a sealed, humid environment- not so easy for us.  But, if a person had a day or so as we often do, hit it with a water mist from a spray bottle a couple times a day and it will rejuvenate the slightly elastic nature of the material.  At $900 to replace the dizzy, I'd have no problem keeping it damp a day or two giving myself the best chance at not breaking that tab.
  • Options
    seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭

That's a gm 5.7 housing. 98 PICK UP. you can get one from the dealer empty. Or you can get a new on from napa.   Our mercs . don't use the cam sensor.

• Options
    seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I forgot to say napa and dorman also make a repair plate. They take about 10 minutes to install.  I have done many repairs over the years for this problem. 
  • Options
    Hmm. I'll have to look into that repair plate. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI