Options

Accidently put motor oil in the lower unit

MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
So in my rush to finish winterizing last night I pumped motor oil into my lower unit (Bravo 3).  I had pumped a half quart of gear lube then switched bottles and accidently grabbed a motor oil bottle.  After pumping 3/4 of a quart of motor oil I discovered my mistake.  So I drained the oil from the lower unit.  Pumped in the remaining 1/2 quart of lower unit oil.  I then let that drain in attempt to flush any residual motor oil.  Then I put in 2 quarts of gear lube.  I am still a quart of gear lube short and plan to fill soon.  Is it likely that this will damage anything?  Is there anything else that I should do?

Thanks,
MDboater

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be fine. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @Alswagg would be the guy to talk with about this and I would call the Mercury customer help line too. A neighbour did this years ago. I believe the marina he drove it to afterward with his boat on his trailer drained his drive (it was a Bravo 1), put a degreasing fluid through it, filled it with gear lube and drained it, filled it with gear lube again and ran the engine with "muffs" supplying water at idle speed with the drive in gear (prop off) , then drained that gear lube then re-filled it. Maybe overkill? I bet Al would have seen this before from some customer or other!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap that does seem like overkill, but what do I know.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    It will be fine , the small residue of the engine oil left vs the vast quantity of gear oil will not make a difference
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, I just relayed what my next door neighbour had done at a marina's suggestion about 10 years ago. He kept the drive for three or more years and never had a problem, so obviously that plan worked. Overkill? Who the **** knows? It worked.

As for other solutions, I trust Al's judgement.

In my case I have two new Bravo lll X drives. They will be under The Mercury Platinum Protection Program until 2022. If something like this happened I would take no chances and have the dealer get Mercury's solution, in writing, to avoid any future warranty misunderstandings. Even if it weren't under the MPPP "warranty" I'd probably still flush and re-fill the drive at least once, maybe twice.

• Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    why would they not warranty it? how would they know of a few cc of engine oil residue vs the gear oil being in the case if you tried to claim the warranty?

these engines and gearboxes are not space craft you know :) or even close to being to that level of quality. Small variances in lubricant viscosity caused by a extremely small residue of another lubricant will not effect anything.

If it was a factor then. flushing the gear box is not enough..you should pull it down, and apart and degrease the entire gear box, then reassemble and fill. (only in NASA would we be doing stuff like this)
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    You will be fine.   You are using Mercruiser hi performance gear lube at minimum correct?  Full synthetic is much better.   Do not use standard gear oil aka burn down Black Death.  

Thanks!!  I used the Quicksilver 90W high performance gear lube.