Options

Galley faucet mod - no more slippery faucet knobs

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
I found a $2 mod that makes the galley faucet in my 370 easier to use and less frustrating.  Thought I'd share.

Problem: the faucet knobs are too darned slippery!  Once I turn off the water, if I get even the slightest trace of soap or food grease on my fingers, I can't turn the water back on to rinse.  The knobs are super-smooth metal cylinders with no knurling or other features to grip:

I am the vessel's lead galley slave, so this problem annoys and frustrates me.  Usually, I have to grab a paper towel and wipe the soap off my fingers.  Or, I just leave the water running.  No more -- I found a better solution.  

I got some rubber O-rings and rolled them onto the knobs.  Problem solved!  Now they are easy to grip with soapy fingers, and the black rubber provides a nice accent that looks like an OEM faucet.  Total cost: $2.27 for a pack of ten O-rings (enough for the galley and head faucets).  Two minutes to install.

These are #18 O-rings: 1-3/16" outer diameter, 15/16" inner diameter, 1/8" thickness.  They are tight enough that I think they'll stay put.  They are available from any hardware store in the faucet repair section.  There are other variations of how to install them, such as:

I think it would work just as well with a single O-ring instead of two.

Comments