Options

40 Years Since Sinking of Edmund Fitzgerald

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
It sure serves a reminder of just how brutal the storms can get on those great lakes.  I grew up in the Ohio area and remember the song that came out.

Here's some interesting pictures:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/40-years-ago-edmund-fitzgerald-sinks-in-gales-of-november/8860700

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    It didn't help that the ship was severely over loaded...... Just say'n  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an interesting story. Increased payload level over the years. Hit the locks a few times recently too with damage. A monster storm that tracked differently than thought and put the ship (and others) in the worst possible position on the lake. Loose hatches let water in. Everything added up to the sinking. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    My office is on the St.Clair River looking up toward the Bluewater Bridge. Weather looks really creepy today. Always a bad time of year to be heading out into big water.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    The surfers will be out....again!  Two years ago the waves were so big off Holland in Lake Michigan the Coast Guard and Sheriff were telling the surfers 'no rescues'.  Yet out they went...

It is impressive to see how big the waves get.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to see some wicked wave action? Family member is a SAR Tech. Told me to google Checto Bar you tube of USCG training exercise. Aussies have some good footage of water squeezes at some of their bars too.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    BTW thanks @Dream_Inn for getting that song stuck in my head.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    BTW thanks @Dream_Inn for getting that song stuck in my head.

No problem.  Thought I'd let someone else sing along all day as well :-)

• Options
    Got to love Gordon Lightfoot.

Here is the forecast for Lake Michigan Thursday, the big waves will be in my area.

Monster 20-foot waves possible on Lake Michigan

Alana M Nehring, WZZM 9 a.m. EST November 11, 2015

635827684871892603-635827574958491634-Lake-Michigan-Wave-Heights-Forecast---Hand-Drawn

As winds increase to 60 mph gusts, isolated waves on Lake Michigan could reach 20 ft offshore.(Photo: WZZM)

WEST MICHIGAN — An intense low pressure system is still projected to slam into the western Great Lakes on Wednesday night.

The main hazard with this storm will be incredibly strong winds in excess to 45 m.p.h. at times. This will cause numerous issues, including downed trees and the potential for power outages.

In addition to impacts on land, Lake Michigan will also suffer the wrath of this strong fall storm, where waves could reach as high as 20 feet offshore. A gale watch has been issued by the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids for the Lakeshore and will be in effect from Wednesday evening through Friday afternoon.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    That is some crazy stuff!  I'm glad the Chesapeake isn't wide enough that it can accumulate that much across the water (it can a few feet from one side to the other, but not 20...north to south with correct winds maybe a bit more, but that is still crazy)

• Options

Lk Mich today. Mean lake today!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    The Lake, she is angry!
  • Options
    2' waves?  lol. 10'+ near shore. Hard to see but they are 15-20' farther out. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    That is some good stuff.  The wind is supposedly making it thru here and I've seen up to 6' here forecasted.  Which, with our short frequency of the waves here, that is pretty mean for us.

Great pictures!

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I love the Ocean............. although this is not as bad as it gets still pretty messy.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    342s plow right threw that chop.