Refrigerators

We bought our boat in May this year.  Early in the year, before the heat of the summer, the refrigerators stayed cool and worked great.  During the heat of the summer, the refrigerators would only stay around 40 or so degrees below the temp in the cabin or cockpit.  Since they both did this I have assumed that this is normal and should be expected.  Is this assumption correct or do you think I have a problem with these two units?
2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of my fridges and the ice maker stay very cold on the hottest/humid days. It is a bit weird that they are both acting-up at the same time. Of course, you have checked the cooling settings to make sure the previous owner didn't set them at a lower temperature. I assume they are not performing on both the shore power and 12v modes therefore ruling-out a weak house battery or charging issues. You've checked the grounds and the wiring connections to rule-out corrosion (again that would be weird for both fridges simultaneously?) There are no obstructions around them restricting the cooling airflow around the compressors? That's all I can think of other than they both need their coolant re-charged.
  • redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Yea if I keep the cabin cool when hot outside.  90+ degrees, I run the ac and keep cabin cool, the refrigerator stays within good range to keep food cool.  If not, even when on shore power, temp rises.  When summer at its hottest, refridgerator would get up to 50 degrees.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, they're not working correctly. If they are getting enough power and their thermostat controls are set to cold them I assume they need to have their refrigerant "topped-up". That might involve tapping a port into the copper line for a re-fill or on some units there is an access port for refrigerant. I think there is an owner on the forum who is an HVAC guy, maybe he'll give you some guidance.