Options

motor for my dingy

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
I purchased a kind of cheap blow up dingy but it is pretty sturdy. It has a floor in it and is about 9' or so? Seat two no problem. It looks like it is designed to take a small electric motor, has a pocket to hold a battery like the size of a motorcycle battery. Just could not imagine anything that small could power this little craft. Now all I bought it for was for short little jaunts where either my boat could not get like a restaurant on the river so would only use it to travel say 50 yards or so...are there such little electric motors that will work well? Also, since it is electric, does it still have to be registered like any "power" boat?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Electric trolling motor they are rated in pounds of thrust instead of horse power. As far as registration check with your state around here yes
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭✭
    You can get a trolling motor from Motorguide or Minn Kota and it will push that thing along fine. I have a 36lb thrust on my 12' freshwater fishing boat (boat weighs about 300lbs) and we scoot along pretty good. If you are using it in salt water, make sure it is rated for salt water use(they are usually white instead of black). I currently use a Mercury 3.3hp 2-stroke for my 9 1/2' dinghy. I bought the motor used on Craigslist for $300. It is small, extremely light(28lbs) and ALMOST gets the dink on plane. It also fits nicely into the molded-in storage compartment under the rear seat in my FV270. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    There's also the Lehr motors that run on the BBQ canisters or a larger propane tank if wanted.
  • Options
    No no no guys...you are thinking I have much more of a dingy than what I have...I wish I could find a picture of it. This is a blow up "raft" that looks like the attached, but in the rear instead of being "solid" where the motor would mount, there is a pocket for a piece of wood to go in which is the motor mount. And there is again, a small pocket for a small batter the size of a motorcycle battery. No way I'd mount any kind of gas motor to it. The company is long out of business and I bought it slightly used but he did not have the motor. I was thinking of a trolling motor like I had on my bass boat years ago but there really is no where to safely store/put a car size type battery- so this would be a very small motor that runs on a very small battery, just have never seen one! It has a hard plastic floor.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Ras I don't think they make that kind any more last time I seen one was Craigslist. They look like an electric weed  wacker motor ran on a small battery size of a lawn mower one. 
  • Options
    yep, that sounds like what I'm looking for.....may not work with a darn anyway. It did come with oars- it's not a bad little "boat", for short distance anyway and I can let the air out and store it midship as I have yet to use it.
  • Options
    I will check into that,  thanks for the info!